Upgrading video card in Intel Imac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by BabyFace16, Apr 8, 2007.

1. BabyFace16 macrumors newbie

I atm have a intel iMac 17'' with a ati radeon x1600 video card in it(standard) i was wondering can i upgrade it cause to be honest, the card sucks for gaming. i went te the apple shop in Holland but they said they didnt think it was possible. i was wondering if there is anyone who knows it is.

2. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

no way to 'upgrade' the video card on the iMac 'cause its a laptop size and its soldered on to the board.

3. BabyFace16 thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm, any otherway to enhance my video memory or somthin cause otherwise it would mean something i have feared for a while, tht my mac would get outdated and unupgradable:eek: :eek:

4. Super Macho Man macrumors 6502a

Super Macho Man

Sorry, you are stuck with what you've got. No upgrading possible whatsoever.

There is a Windows utility you can use to overclock your video chip if you don't mind the risk of melting your Mac. Works only in Windows though. I believe it's called ATItool or something.

5. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Your only option is to sell it and buy a 24" iMac with the GeForce 7600GT, or a Mac Pro with a Radeon X1900XT. Sorry.:(

6. BabyFace16 thread starter macrumors newbie

tht kinda sucks. btw anyone know what a mac form 1987 is worth with the original carrier bag?

7. Flyinace2000 macrumors 6502a

Flyinace2000

What kind of mac?

8. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I know someone who has successfully done a replacement video card in the iMac where the 128 x1600 was replaced with the 256 x1600. He said, and I quote: "It was a ****ing b****" but he did it. Appearantly he took a desolderung tool and removed the video card component itself and did a transplant with the same 256mb version of the video card. I'll ask him more about it.

9. BabyFace16 thread starter macrumors newbie

k thnx, also ask him if his imac if functioning properly:p:p