"Upgrading" Vista laptops to WinXP

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by hdsalinas, Jul 11, 2007.

1. hdsalinas macrumors 6502

hdsalinas

My cousin recently got an HP laptop with vista. After a few months he decided to move back to XP since he could not stand vista. He had a few problems with some drivers but finally he managed to do it. Now he is happy with XP.

My wife has a brand new compaq laptop that came with vista basic (it is a budget laptop) . It only has 512MB of ram (with would be more than enough for xp to run great) and it is very slow. I want to instal xp instead since I know it will run a lot better but I would hate to go driver hunting and have problems down the road.. but I think hat I will have to.

And today a friend of mine called me and asked me if I could install XP on her 1 week old toshiba vista laptop.

It seems that for todays average hardware Vista is too demanding. PCs that would have no problems running XP have big problems when faced with vista.

Also the average vista users (not computer people, but regular users) that I have talked to consider vista ackward and they rather use XP.

After vista was released I am so glad that I use OSX and dont have to put up with Vista. BTW, I still have XP on my bootcamp partition and I am not planning on "downgrading" to vista.

What do you think?

2. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

I think I'm going to be doing the same as I did 98SE-->XP. My main AMD desktop boots Vista/OS/XP, but I won't be using Vista as a main OS for a bit longer. I've had some driver issues with it. Vista needs to mature. Once it has "aged" a bit with one or two SPs, I'll move along :p

Those laptops/computers shipping with Vista just need more memory ;)

3. hdsalinas thread starter macrumors 6502

hdsalinas

Yes you are probably right about the memory.

I am thinking about getting my wife more ram so that it would run better. She only uses her laptop for word and internet so a 1GB should be enough.

4. Deefuzz macrumors 6502a

Deefuzz

When I loaded bootcamp on my MBP I put Vista on the Windows partition, and now I am really wanting to remove it and put XP in it's place.

In fact I am pretty sure once I read up on how to do that I will be doing just that.