Upgrading VMware Fusion 4 to 5/5Pro

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Zerozal, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Zerozal macrumors 6502

Since VMware is not offering any special upgrade pricing from Fusion 4 to 5, that means that both 5 and 5 Professional cost $49.99.

Is there any reason NOT to upgrade 5 Professional for the same price? I don't think I'll use any of the extra features, but for the same price, why not?

2. Macloven macrumors regular

Macloven

if you purchased from 7/25 or later, it's free. I bought it 7/28:D. Tried to do the upgrade from their site and the page wasn't working. They said try later, but for recent purchases, no charge.

3. buddyspencer macrumors regular

What about updating? Do I have to delete Fusion 4 before installing Fusion 5?

What's the best way?

4. shortcut3d macrumors 65816

My iMac upgraded without issue by simply running the installer.

My MBP is getting an error message that Fusion 5 cannot access the virtual machine. I tried manually uninstalling Fusions 5, fixing the permissions on the folder and vm file and files in the container, and removing the nvram and lck files in the container. Nothing has worked.

5. RightMACatU macrumors 65816

RightMACatU

The V5 install will take care of your v4

Also, I submitted my receipt and key last night and already had an email this morning with new key and link to v5 :cool:

6. Macloven macrumors regular

Macloven

I did the update last night, and it wasn't perfectly smooth. Got an error message the first time it tried to open the windows 7 virtual drive saying I needed to add other drivers. As I had no idea what that meant practically speaking, closed everything out restarted my computer, and tried again. This time, it worked and logged into windows. Once it logged in, automatically updated the tools, etc.

7. Macloven macrumors regular

Macloven

same here. had my new key within an hour of submitting the receipt.

8. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

What specific advantages are you seeing in 5 over 4?

I have 4 currently but I am not keen to upgrade yet if there are no real practical benefits for me

I only use it to run Win7 for a couple of proprietary programs for work

9. wino david macrumors newbie

wino david

For those who have updated from 4 to 5 and on Mountain Lion: Has the window flickering issue been resolved for multi monitors?

This has been driving me nuts!

10. shortcut3d macrumors 65816

Anyone else have broken VMs after upgrading?

11. buddyspencer macrumors regular

No - no broken VM here.

But the retina resolution doesn't work as described... Fonts are still blurry.

12. duckrabbit, Aug 26, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2012

duckrabbit macrumors member

Go to Virtual Machine -> Settings -> Display
    Check "Use full resolution for Retina display"

13. buddyspencer macrumors regular

I know - but that's totally weird. With this setting the resolution is going to 2880 x 1800 and I can read nothing :confused::mad:

14. duckrabbit macrumors member

Set the dpi to 150%, and you'll have it set up exactly how Boot Camp does. The one issue I've found is that the login screen dpi doesn't change. To fix this, look here: http://superuser.com/questions/382979/change-dpi-of-login-screen

15. RightMACatU macrumors 65816

RightMACatU

I did the upgrade from 4 to 5 plus a reboot under 3 minutes. No issues at all and my Unity mode is flawless.

Feature wise: I did not use v4 long enough to notice any differences with v5 (other than a new interface).

The upgrade was free for me. For those of you that have to pay, I'd recommend waiting for detailed articles comparing the two and then decide.

16. terzinator macrumors 6502

I know it's an old thread, but it's relevant...

"Upgraded" a couple of days ago, from 4 to 5 Pro, and I can't get my screen resolution to be sharp. (MBP 2011 15" High-Res Non-gloss non-Retina)

Never had to deal with the resolution before, and my Win7 windows were always nice and sharp. Now, the resolution is horrible. Fonts are fuzzy and if I'm able to temporarily get them sharp, the thing reverts back if I move a window. It's insane. Tried to revert back to 4, but still having the issue.

Grumble grumble.