upgrading, want to clean out my trash

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by aaplphan, Jun 18, 2009.

1. aaplphan macrumors newbie

Hi, let me first say: This is my first forum post, however I am a longtime macrumors reader, so, hello to everyone.

Background:
    Currently, I rock a 15in. old-school PowerBook G4 (1.67 Ghz PPC, 1Gb RAM), however, following the notebook updates of WWDC, I ordered a fresh 17in. MacBook Pro (my first hardware upgrade in four years!). Clearly, I have waited a long time, and I am thrilled to explore this new machine. It will arrive next tuesday. I plan to migrate all of the data from my current mac to my new notebook.

Question:
    With this migration process in mind, I want to bring as few unnecessary things as possible from my old mac to my new mac. So I am wondering, what is the best program for removing old programs completely, as well as what works best for general disk cleaning and maintenance? Also, any tips in general for someone like me migrating from a PowerBook to a MacBook Pro, to optimize the experience?

:apple: I appreciate your feedback, Thanks! :apple:

2. turkay macrumors regular

turkay

For removing apps, i highly recommend Hazel. I don't remember the default pref, but it's capable of cleaning all the leftovers after you move any app to the trash by showing you a list of the remaining files and asking your confirmation. BTW it does way more than that. Cheers!:cool: