Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lucydrew

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2017
Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me...
I’m upgrading both a watch and a phone next Friday. Not sure which to activate first for the smoothest transition. I’d like to keep my watch settings if possible. (I use VERIZON if that matters.)

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
On your old things. Unpair the watch from your phone. This will create a watch backup. Create a backup of your phone with iTunes or iCloud. Then erase your phone.

On your new things. Start with your phone and then pair the watch. Make sure to select the latest backup on both phone and watch when it asks

lucydrew

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2017
On your old things. Unpair the watch from your phone. This will create a watch backup. Create a backup of your phone with iTunes or iCloud. Then erase your phone.

On your new things. Start with your phone and then pair the watch. Make sure to select the latest backup on both phone and watch when it asks
Thanks!

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Old watch (unpair) > old phone (backup) > new phone (restore) > new watch (re-pair)

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
I have seen people the watch first and it screw up the number sharing.
The process can be a bit quirky.
A ZEEN0j recommend.

Also, take a read this will help ease the transition.
Transfer your cellular plan to a new Apple Watch
That’s interesting as my carrier advises to keep the cellular plan when buying a new watch and then they say they just transfer it over. My nearest Apple Store also said the same.

BillGates1969

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2008
Poole, UK
That’s interesting as my carrier advises to keep the cellular plan when buying a new watch and then they say they just transfer it over. My nearest Apple Store also said the same.

I'm wondering how to transfer my EE plan over to my new watch as I messed it up last time from S3 to S4.

I think I just unpair watch or do i remove the plan, then unpair, then add one again on the new.

May call EE... :)

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
I'm wondering how to transfer my EE plan over to my new watch as I messed it up last time from S3 to S4.

I think I just unpair watch or do i remove the plan, then unpair, then add one again on the new.

May call EE... :)
I am also with EE. I asked on their community web page and the feedback suggested to keep the plan. I then rang EE customer Services and the watch team told me to keep the plan. Apple Store echoed this even though their website says to delete the plan if you are selling your watch. Its so confusing. When I went from my S3 to my S4, I deleted the plan and then when configuring my S4, EE set up a new plan and deleted my old one.
If I were you, unpair, keep the plan and then ring 150 and ask EE to transfer your plan to your new watch. if they cant, then they can give you a new plan and delete your old one

Reactions: BillGates1969

BillGates1969

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2008
Poole, UK
I am also with EE. I asked on their community web page and the feedback suggested to keep the plan. I then rang EE customer Services and the watch team told me to keep the plan. Apple Store echoed this even though their website says to delete the plan if you are selling your watch. Its so confusing. When I went from my S3 to my S4, I deleted the plan and then when configuring my S4, EE set up a new plan and deleted my old one.
If I were you, unpair, keep the plan and then ring 150 and ask EE to transfer your plan to your new watch. if they cant, then they can give you a new plan and delete your old one

Yeo good idea. The good thing is that I have sold my S4 but to a mate, so won't post it to him until I know I am all good to go so I will have both watches if i need to re-pair etc.

Reactions: Bazooka-joe

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Removing the cell plan disassociated the watch and doesn’t cancel not the plan

Macbimmer

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me...
I’m upgrading both a watch and a phone next Friday. Not sure which to activate first for the smoothest transition. I’d like to keep my watch settings if possible. (I use VERIZON if that matters.)
[doublepost=1568660466][/doublepost]One thing I'd recommend in this chain of replies is to first update your iPhone to IOS 13 on Thursday before Friday deliver of new phone. Then, do the same, update your watch to the new Watch OS. Because both your new iPhone 11 and watch Series 5 will have new OS's on them, you should have the same OS's on your old units before backing them up for the last time. After the new OS's are onboard your current iPhone, do the watch unpair which creates a watch backup on your phone. The backup the current iPhone on either iCloud or iTunes whichever you use. After acquiring the new phone, restore it from the backup. Then pair the new watch to the new phone and restore the watch backup from the phone to the new watch. Everything I've read about this process, suggests this formula for the best success. Good luck. I've got the same situation in front of me on Friday as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Plncrzy_2

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Exactly. The plan still continues unless you ask the carrier to cancel the plan. Hence, you can then ask your carrier to assign the plan to the new watch

Hint the CSR is setting up a wearable and not an Apple watch.
- Asks you to remove the sim from the old watch

It maybe too late at this point.

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
Great timing for this thread. For the first time I am upgrading both the watch and the iPhone at the same time!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.