Upgrading???What's the difference??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gusious, Jun 7, 2008.

1. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

Hi to all!!!

Check this out..Is there a difference between the upgrade cd and the original Leopard?

The reason that i'm asking is because i had the upgrade cd(i bought my MBP a little after Apple used Leopard in their computers)so i had the option to buy the upgrade cd.But i have installed the original Leopard from a cousin of mine who bought it.

So,for example,if anything happens to my Leopard,will i have to install Tiger first and then upgrade to leopard?:confused:

2. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Yes. The Leopard upgrade dvd checks that there is a version of 10.4 on the install disk before it installs. If it doesn't find 10.4 it will not install.

So yes, if you need to do a fresh System install you will have to use your 10.4 disks and then do the Leopard upgrade.

3. gusious thread starter macrumors 65816

gusious

I was afraid that you were going to say that......:(

4. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

That isn't necessarily true... You should be able to do a full installation of Leopard from any Leopard Retail DVD (like your cousin's) onto any Mac that meets the specifications to run leopard.

Logana may have wanted to clarify, that if you decide to reinstall everything from your original restore DVD's that were provided with your computer, you will need to run the upgrade because those DVD's will install 10.4.

But yes, there is a difference between a Leopard Retail DVD your cousin has and the Leopard Upgrade DVD that you have.

You might be better off borrowing your cousins again, or even buying a retail dvd yourself.

5. gusious thread starter macrumors 65816

gusious

I don't have any problems (yet) and i hope that i won't have any in the future...!

So,if i had just upgraded from my cd i would have Leopard with the same graphic environment as i have now?

You mean that the only difference is that the upgrade leopard is looking for a pre installed Tiger but the retail dvd is just looking for a mac that have the specifications to run it?