Upgrading White Macbook for music production - which hard drive?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by alexjholland, Feb 5, 2012.

1. alexjholland macrumors 6502

Hey, I've already upgraded my White Macbook to 4Gb of RAM, but now need to upgrade the Hard Drive.

My mission is keeping it as a perfect clone of the content on my iMac to take to band practise, so I need at least a 300Gb hard drive.. Really 500.. Maybe more to be sure?!

I use it entirely for music production, using Ableton Live. Lots of producing and recording clips etc on the fly.

It seems a big Mac upgrade centre is based in Cambridge, where I live: Here is the list offered.

http://www.macupgrades.co.uk/store/mach ... me=macbook

Which hard drive do you recommend? Is 7200RPM a good idea for music production?

2. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

As a music producer (I think) you will need the optical drive correct?

What I would do (depending on your budget) is get the largest SSD you can afford.
    Use carbon copier to save copy all your files.
    Get an external FW hard drive to hold your files once you get the SSD

Whet model macbook do you have?
    ALU, UNI, ?

3. alexjholland thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't think I entirely need, or can justify, an SSD. The Macbook is around three years old and I don't even have an SSD in my iMac.

Performance is fine. I just need a lot more storage. So is 7200RPM a good idea? Which of those hard drives is known to be good?

Cheers

4. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Dont quote me on this, but 1tb (100gb) harddrives seam very unreliable (although most are 5400rpm anyway)

Also, if you were not aware do to recent flooding in Thailand Hard drive prices are through the roof, so I suggest (if possible) to hold off for a few months.

Scorpio, barracuda, and (in my experience) WD have all been very good and recommended on Macrumors.

5. alexjholland thread starter macrumors 6502

Nah, I can't wait. My Macbook's hard drive is full and we have things to do. Cheers for the tips though!