Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TGBrowning

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2011
Hi,

New here, so apologies if this has already been asked or info is readily available elsewhere. If so please point me in the right direction.

I Have white unibody Macbook (late 09 model iirc) i've already upgraded it's RAM to 4GB some time ago. I am a photographer and thus use it mostly for running photos through lightroom.

The main problem i'm having is that when i've been working for a while photos can take quite a while to load properly and lightroom generally becomes quite slow.

To the best of my (limited) knowledge the best solution would be to replace my HDD with an SSD. However i can't really afford anymore than a 64GB SSD at present so i'd still be left with most of my photos on an external HDD. With 64GB i'd probably have enough space to have the photos i'm working on on the SSD and move them when i'm done, but i can see that getting frustrating.

So yeah, any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Tim

Detrius

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2008
Apex, NC
Maybe you're just running out of RAM. While doing this, take a look at your memory usage in Activity Monitor. What does it look like?

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
Hi,

New here, so apologies if this has already been asked or info is readily available elsewhere. If so please point me in the right direction.

I Have white unibody Macbook (late 09 model iirc) i've already upgraded it's RAM to 4GB some time ago. I am a photographer and thus use it mostly for running photos through lightroom.

The main problem i'm having is that when i've been working for a while photos can take quite a while to load properly and lightroom generally becomes quite slow.

To the best of my (limited) knowledge the best solution would be to replace my HDD with an SSD. However i can't really afford anymore than a 64GB SSD at present so i'd still be left with most of my photos on an external HDD. With 64GB i'd probably have enough space to have the photos i'm working on on the SSD and move them when i'm done, but i can see that getting frustrating.

So yeah, any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Tim

Though it is not recommended by Apple, your macbook can support up to 8 GBs of RAM. You may want to upgrade it again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.