Upgrading Windows... will I have to reactivate iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by retrovertigo, Jul 12, 2008.

1. retrovertigo Guest

I'm upgrading my wife's computer to Vista, as she needs it for work. I'm planning on doing a full wipe and a fresh install of Windows. She has an iPhone though, and I'm wondering if a fresh install of iTunes will recognize the iPhone or whether it will prompt us to reactivate/restore from backup. I would assume that it wouldn't ask to reactivate/restore, but as a precaution I have backed up her iTunes folder from C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data.

I'm sure that many of you have gone through this already, was everything OK once you installed iTunes and plugged the iPhone back in?

2. iaredhead macrumors newbie

I just went through this 3 weeks ago although it was about 2 am when I did my phone so I am kind of fuzzy on it. LOL Make sure and do a DVD back up of everything on iTunes before you do this change over. After you change over download itunes. Now, at this point I believe I ran my back up disk first before I actually hooked my phone up but I would not swear on it. I did have to reauthorize the computer also. I believe it did go through the reactivation process but with the backup it also put everything back on the phone exactly as I had it to begin with right down to all my appt. I was sweating for a while as this was an unexpected crash for me. Oh, and by the way, my condolances to your wife for Vista. I have it and hate it. But with a DVD back up she will be fine and have everything covered. Hope this helped. ;)