iPod touch Upgrading with jailbreak and keep apps

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by flipside6, Jan 6, 2015.

1. flipside6 macrumors newbie

I'm using an iPOD Touch Gen 5 with iOS 6.1 and was thinking it was about time I give updating a try. I have quite a few apps from cydia, app store and from my computer. I'd like to be able to keep these after updating and the data/saves with them. I'm pretty clueless with this, so how do I go about updating my OS, re-jailbreaking and keep all the stuff I already have?

2. Syndicate0017 macrumors 6502

iTunes Backup --> Restore through iTunes --> Jailbreak --> Restore backup --> Open Cydia

3. flipside6 thread starter macrumors newbie

I won't lose all the data from my non-app store apps? I've read a few threads saying doing just that I would.

4. Syndicate0017 macrumors 6502

The backup should contain all your cydia application plists. Any other way of upgrading will cause you to forfeit a half gig of disk space.

5. flipside6 thread starter macrumors newbie

I see. What about apps I've synced from itunes, that didn't come from app store or cydia?

6. Syndicate0017 macrumors 6502

All backed up. The application and application data from apps installed via iTunes is stored identically to apps installed from the App Store.

7. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

Just a word of warning. You might suffer a performance decrease when updating from ios 6 to ios 8 on the iPod touch

8. flipside6, Jan 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2015

flipside6 thread starter macrumors newbie

EDIT: My apps finally decided to install, but I have at least a million other problems still. Completely forget what I installed/did to change things before.

1: Hiding/removing all the Apple apps that I've never use, like stocks and such. However, I did remember "nonewsisgoodnews".
    2: Moving icons wherever, like in a line. Before I had five icons on each side, up and down, nothing in the middle.
    3: HTC weather for lock screen.
    4: Changed iPod in the top left to something different.
    5: I don't remember what SBSettings does, but now it crashes when I open it.
    6: Pull down notification center, how to disable it?
    7: Renaming app icons.
    8: Changing the "slide to unlock" text on lock screen.
    I really hadn't realized all the things I changed on ios6 with jailbreak, might be more things I'm forgetting even.

And some iOS 8 things I don't care for, that probably can't be changed.
    1: Old Safari.
    2: Old search, where you'd just go left all the way. New one randomly opens when I'm touching around.
    3: Old close icon thing. With the small icons at the bottom, instead of the huge strange thing.

9. cyber16 macrumors 6502

next time BUY the apps and not pirate them ;
    Try to sync via wifi sync to your itunes and they should install fine

10. Syndicate0017 macrumors 6502

SB settings doesn't even work on iOS 8 and most of your other "issues" are cosmetic and have been discussed ad nauseam about iOS 8...sounds like you should have done a little more research before pulling the upgrade trigger.

11. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

Jailbreaking seems like such a hassle with little benefit

12. mikecwest macrumors 6502a

mikecwest

One benefit on an older device with less storage, is the ability to remove other languages, iCleaner Pro can recover nearly a gigabyte in storage by removing unused localizations, keyboards, wallpapers, and images designed for screens that your devices does not really need or use.

You can install really cool tweaks suck as "PM Really?", which is a really useful tweak. I can not count the number of times I have set an alarm clock for PM instead of AM, not just on my phone, but on my Sony DreamMachine, and previous alarm clocks.

As far as it being a "hassle", it is far from a hassle with the current jailbreaks. The biggest hassle, would be if you use a Mac, and need to install a Virtual Machine to run the jailbreak app.