Upgrading without re-install: any reasons not to?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Evangelion, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Evangelion macrumors 68040

I'm planning to get Leopard pretty soon after it has been released (maybe I'll wait for one or two point-releases, but still). Of course, then I have the question of what to do with the old OS. Does it make sense to upgrade over the old install (keeping all the settings and files), or is it better to backup, format and do a fresh install of Leopard?

Related to this: I'm planning to install Boot Camp shortly. If I decide to erase my Tiger-install when I move to Leopard, what happes to Windows? Can I tell Boot Camp on Leopard that "over there is my Windows-install, use that with Boot Camp"?

2. Manic Mouse macrumors 6502a

Manic Mouse

Same position here, I'll be upgrading to Leopard when it's out and I'd really like to just install it over my current one to keep all my settings and programs. Will I survive this process?

3. kolax macrumors G3

I'm going to do a fresh installation of Leopard just so there isn't any problems.

Fresh new OS, fresh new installation.

Putting programs back on is really easy anyhow as is keeping all your settings, so I'm going to transfer them over once I wipe and install.

4. Angrist macrumors 6502

I just update-install, no need to wipe.

I've never had any trouble with just upgrading, using multiple machines, all the way back to 10.1. The hassle of re-installing programs and migrating settings isn't worth it.

5. Manic Mouse macrumors 6502a

Manic Mouse

Is there any speed reduction as a result of that? I'm assuming OSX, lacking a registry etc, shouldn't suffer from such problems...

6. Angrist macrumors 6502

No speed reduction.

I once compared a fresh install with an upgrade (new HDD :) ), but didn't notice any difference. The xbench scores were a little bit different because the drives weren't the same speed, but the user experience was indistinguishable.

Oh, and I wouldn't call it "lacking a registry", sounds like OSX is somehow limited. I'd say "not being hamstrung by a registry". But thats just me ;)

7. Manic Mouse macrumors 6502a

Manic Mouse

Thanks for the info! Archive and install for me then. :)

8. Penryn macrumors member

Penryn

And me seeing as there's no loss in speed :)

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

There's usually no penalty for straight upgrades, either.