Upgrading your HD?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bluetooth, Jul 5, 2008.

1. bluetooth macrumors 6502a

bluetooth

So I am thinking about upgrading my HD to something a little larger, perhaps a 120GB as I only currently have a 40GB and have things stored on DVD's etc.

My concern is this, I am running a G4 Quicksilver and am wondering if upgrading my HD means I would need to reinstall everything - as in all my Apps and settings etc. (PS brushes etc. etc.). Or is there some way that they can transfer all the current Apps and presets on my existing HD to the new HD when they put it in? Or is this just wishful thinking...:rolleyes:

One of the issues is that I do not have my original Quark Disc (Cannot find it) and besides even if I do find it, installing Quark 5 and then the upgrade to 7 was a total nightmare and I literally spent hours calling Quark for ID's and serial numbers etc.

So if this is the case (that I would need to manually reinstall all my Apps) would buying an external HD and keeping all my work, basically everything besides my Apps on the external HD be a good alternate solution? Would it help to speed my computer up OR would it just slow things down by having an external HD running while I am working. I was thinking something like this... http://store.apple.com/us/product/T...ssories/storage&mco=MTA4OTg0&p=1&s=topSellers or this http://store.apple.com/us/product/T...ssories/storage&mco=MTA4OTg3&p=1&s=topSellers

Opinions and input appreciated.

- Thanks

2. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

The best option might be to clone your current drive using Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper, this just transfers everything as it is over to a new drive.

3. bluetooth thread starter macrumors 6502a

bluetooth