Upgrading your MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheBoors, Aug 2, 2011.

1. TheBoors macrumors newbie

Well I just bought the 15inch high-end MBP because it simply is perfect for me :D

I was simply wondering if I could replace the whole motherboard in a year or two to get the better graphic cards then and the Ivy bridge processors.

I don't really care if it costs alot to replace the motherboard, it will always be cheapter to simply buy another MBP

Would my current laptop have enought power to support a more recent motherboard?

-B

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

No, you can't just buy a new motherboard. Screws go in different places, cables get routed differently, chips are organized differently, so there's room in different areas inside the enclosure, and the logic boards potentially even have different shapes. Even if everything else is exactly the same, it's going to be crazy expensive to buy a logic board at non-exchange pricing after your distributor has marked it up, and it's often cheaper to buy a new computer.

3. TheBoors thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright! thank you :p

I guess I'll be looking foward to that Thunderbolt HUB that was posted on MR yesterday, would be a good alternative