upgrading

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MountainMomma, Aug 15, 2013.

1. MountainMomma macrumors newbie

I have a 20" desktop Mac OSX 10.4.11 Tiger that I would like to upgrade. How should I go about this?

2. toddzrx macrumors 6502a

toddzrx

Need more details: what year is your iMac, and what processor and HD are in it?

Also, what do you use it for?

3. Montymitch macrumors regular

Montymitch

4. Bear macrumors G3

That does not answer the question. As toddzrx stated, we need more details. Although I suspect that the best answer for the OP is that they may need to get a new iMac. As a side note, Migration Assistant may not work from 10.4.11 to 10.8.4.

5. Montymitch macrumors regular

Montymitch

But you do not know the question that is being asked. Anyhow, it looks like you are right about there being difficulties migrating from 10.4 to 10.8.

6. MountainMomma thread starter macrumors newbie

Upgrading

Early 2006, Processor 2 GHz Intel Core Duo Mac HD (ATA) For personal use. Hope this helps!

7. Fishrrman macrumors G3

I'd look for a DVD copy of Snow Leopard. I think the last version sold was 10.6.3 (could be wrong about that). You can upgrade it to 10.6.8 after the installation is complete, using Software Update.

You want the "universal" version, that could be bought as a "standalone" DVD (i.e., not the DVD that came bundled with a Mac in the box).

The version of Migration Assistant that comes with it should be able to import your old data without problems.

If you have valued files on the old iMac, it wouldn't hurt to do a full backup of the internal drive to an external drive before you attempt the upgrade. I'd recommend CarbonCopyCloner (free to download and use for 30 days) for this job...

8. MountainMomma thread starter macrumors newbie

Upgrading

Thanks everyone for all the feedback! One more question--I already purchased an external hard drive to store my files before upgrading. It's an Iomega eGo desktop HD FireWire800/USB2.0. I purchased this because it's mac compatible with Mac OS 10.4 to 10.6 (I'm 10.4.11). Only problem is, the Iomega Protection Suite included with the HD (as well as any I found on their site) are not compatible! I emailed Iomega to no avail and don't want to pay $25 for their online or phone call service, but am hesitant to do anything without the security. Any suggestions?:(