upgrading

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lexxi89, Apr 6, 2008.

1. lexxi89 macrumors member

my question is this: I just recently bought a 16G iPhone.. Not knowing a 3G model was going to be on its way later in the year.., so, I was wanting to kno whether or not you think they'll allow upgrades from version one of the phone to the newer 3G model???

2. atluten macrumors 6502

You will most likely have to purchase an entirely new phone at full price.

3. lexxi89 thread starter macrumors member

dag I think that just sucks... But my question is why not though?? I mean I'm willing to pay another hundred or so.. But another 600 bucks is outta the question

4. atluten macrumors 6502

Well that's a question for Apple to answer, but presumably the reasoning is similar to how you buy a computer but are unable to get a discount off a newly released model. Besides, Apple is probably going to introduce a better phone all around in terms of features, including 3G, to entice people into spending another large sum of money to move to the next iteration.

5. otep1760 macrumors regular

otep1760

its the same idea as with a computer or any other piece of hardware from apple. they dont just let you pay $100 or so to upgrade, you have to purchase a whole new product.

they will allow you to return if it gets released within 14 days of you getting the phone. but since you already have the phone, its not looking good.

if having 3G is a big deal to you, return the phone and wait 2 months or so.

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yeah, I tried to get them to take back my 8GB, 'cause they didn't tell me about the 16GB that was coming out in 2008! HELLO! We are not at Disneyland, where ALL your DREAMS come true! Make a case and they might work something out for you. Look at how many people bought "day one" iPhones and received Apple Gift Cards. Just don't get your hopes up. :p

7. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Doubt it.

Welcome to the wonderful world of technology. :)

You could always buy a new 3G iPhone when they are released and then sell your old one to offset the price of the new one a little bit.

8. lexxi89 thread starter macrumors member

Well thanks for the advice.. I just dont think ppl will be willing to buy a used one when they can get a newer, more advanced one in a few months...

But if so, are there any recommended sites?

9. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

That's the weird thing about technology, it's constantly changing. My 6 month old MacBook was no longer the newest and greatest, but it was still the best MB that I'd ever owned. That didn't keep me from purchasing the newest and the fastest MB/MBA three days later. Resale on my Apple products has always been high, so the only concern for me has been, how much can I sell it for? and how can I reach the next owner? :cool:

10. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Ebay. You'll be surprised, Apple stuff on there used goes for about the same price as new from the store. There's a sucker born every minute.