Upgreate MacBook OX S 10.5.8

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by luigionline, Jul 5, 2015.

1. luigionline, Jul 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2015

luigionline macrumors newbie

Hy guys! I'm looking to upgreat my mac, is an old version OX S 10.5.8.
    I'm not doing very complicated things with it therefore it was doing fine all these years, but this days I'm having problems surfing on youtube, so I know I have to change something.
    I'm looking to upgrate to yosemite, but for that I understand that I have to get the leopard or something similar, I've also been told that it might be too old to be upgrated... and I don't really know how to check that.
    I am hopping that someone may know the steps that I have to go thru and is willing to help. Thanks!

P.S. Sorry for my english!

Some details:
    Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook
    Model Identifier: MacBook5,2
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 2 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: MB52.0088.B05
    SMC Version (system): 1.38f5
    Serial Number (system): W8908JCC4R1
    Hardware UUID: 65D27BD2-B0F2-5F16-B6C7-177357A4D96E
    Sudden Motion Sensor:
    State: Enabled

2. jmiddel macrumors member

You can upgrade directly to Yosemite. The newest version seems to resolved a number of connectivity issues.

Also you have to upgrade the memory, 2 gigs is not enough, which is one reason you are having trouble. If you really want to speed things up get an SSD.

3. kohlson macrumors 6502a

+1 for this. You can add more memory and/or an SSD. The result will be better than this laptop has ever run. But you should do some thinking first. Your laptop is old, and may need a battery, too. Disk, memory, and possibly a battery adds up, and you may want to consider using these funds toward a newer model.

4. luigionline thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, is better than no answer!

I am hopping that someone may know the steps that I have to go thru and is willing to help.

Thanks!

5. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

Not from Leopard. You'd either have to use a DVD or USB stick with the Yosemite installer on it or upgrade to 10.6.8 so you can have access to the App Store.

6. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

Since Apple doesn't sell a Yosemite install disk or stick, one would need the help of someone else who can download the Yosemite installer and put it on a CD/DVD or USB stick. The "approved" method would be to buy the Snow Leopard update from Apple ($19.99 USD). Once Snow Leopard is installed, then run software update to bring the installation up to 10.6.8. Once that's done, Yosemite can be downloaded from the App Store.

Yosemite specifications: https://support.apple.com/kb/SP711
    Yosemite upgrade site: http://www.apple.com/support/osx/upgrade/

Note that the OP's MacBook has the bare minimum configuration for Yosemite (Mavericks, Mountain Lion, and Lion as well).