Up'ing from Tiger to Leopard - big difference?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by om3ga785, Aug 31, 2008.

1. om3ga785 macrumors member

Well im debating to upgrade my PPC G4 from Tiger. I'm relatively still new to the MAC world and just curious as to know what would be some improvments jumping to 10.5?

I have the 1.67Ghz processor and 2GB of RAM. is there anything i should know performance wise? and lastly, when i go to install, will i lose any of my programs i have installed already? I'm going to do an upgrade install, but i want to be 100% sure to know if ill lose any of my programs in the process.

Thanks!

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

If you upgrade (and don't wipe your HDD) you won't lose anything.

3. Cadium macrumors member

You can perform an upgrade or an "Archive and Install", either way your data will still be there. An Archive and Install will provide cleaner results, and you can tell the installer to copy your account, preferences, etc.

4. iCube macrumors 6502

Make sure you buy a recent retail release from an Apple Store. You want 10.5.4!! Leopard has two hidden versions in the retail DVD, PowerPC and Intel. No big deal, you won't know while installing it. Initial early releases of 10.5 were very PowerPC install unfriendly to some users. You will love Leopard on your PowerBook, it's worth it!

Attached Files:

5. ddeadserious macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

I just upgraded to Leopard on my first gen MPB. Your hardware doesn't look like it'll have an issue at all - definitely go for it.

As for big differences... not any BIG ones, but cool ones. Stacks is awesome, the snazzy looking dock is nice, the translucent menu bar is fancy, and spaces is amazing.

Well worth the upgrade, it's nice being about to run XP or Ubuntu on VMWare full screen in a separate space as everything else and still be able to function on my Mac OS.

It does use more RAM when idling though, it's not as light of an OS as Tiger.

6. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I have a 1.25 Ghz G4 with 1 gig of RAM and it runs Leopard just fine. I purchased the retail DVD. I think it put 10.5 on the machine and I had to let software update run several times to get to 10.5.4 (recently). Everything is running fine. I've had some pesky issues and bugs on my Intel Macs but never even the smallest glitch on my trust G4. Well, there was one time my daughter filled up the hard drive with junk and I had to spend some time deleting movies and edits of movies. But even with a full drive, the machine was stable. You just couldn't save anything :eek:

7. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

I like QuickLook and Coverflow in Finder! Not much of 'differences' rather additions but still......... some really great ones!

8. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Leopard is awesome! Great new features like Spaces and QuickLook, much more visually appealing than Tiger and some cool stuff works only with Leopard (MobileMe).

You won't loose your data, just do Archive & Install :)

9. om3ga785 thread starter macrumors member

Can't install Leopard

Ok, so i bought 10.5.4 yesterday at best buy.

so far i'm having issues with installing OS X. its keeps giving me an BaseSystem Package error message after DVD validation.

I put back the factory 1gb ram sticks in to see if it was a RAM issue. still didn't solve issue.

i don't have a external firewire DVD DL drive to use.

any suggestions with help here?