Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adelinekan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2014
Hi everyone!

I'm looking for an app to upload my FLAC files to the Cloud and stream them using AirPlay on my iPhone. It's a pain to convert them and I don't want to waste space on the iPhone by storing them and using a local player.

Do you have any suggestions for such a music app?

Thanks!

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
I don't have the answer but this would be a piece of cake if only Dropbox support AirPlay.

Rfiacrk

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2014
iTunes doesn't support FLAC format. In fact, to upload FLAC to Cloud and then sync to iPhone, transcoding FLAC to iTunes supported formats is the best choice, i think.

Some people also recommend to change the extension name from .flac to .mp3 or .aac etc. This way does not work since iTunes are strict with input formats.

berthaconners

macrumors member
May 20, 2014
Yeah, this might be easier with some brand other than apple... Only because itunes is so difficult to do anything with. I switched from pc to mac a little while ago, and while mac is obviously a better machine, I do miss the control that I used to have over Everything on my pc (in terms of music)

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Yeah, this might be easier with some brand other than apple... Only because itunes is so difficult to do anything with. I switched from pc to mac a little while ago, and while mac is obviously a better machine, I do miss the control that I used to have over Everything on my pc (in terms of music)

You have control of everything on the Mac. It's based on BSD. You can do just about anything. You just have to learn.

If you want to use lossless music format on iTunes convert your FLAC to Apple Lossless format. A good way to do that is something called "XLD". It will do the batch conversion of hundreds of tacks and will use as many CPU cores as you allow it to. The format is named correctly "lossless" means you don't loose anything in the conversion. The data remains bit for bit identical.

berthaconners

macrumors member
May 20, 2014
You have control of everything on the Mac. It's based on BSD. You can do just about anything. You just have to learn.

If you want to use lossless music format on iTunes convert your FLAC to Apple Lossless format. A good way to do that is something called "XLD". It will do the batch conversion of hundreds of tacks and will use as many CPU cores as you allow it to. The format is named correctly "lossless" means you don't loose anything in the conversion. The data remains bit for bit identical.

Thank you. I need to learn more about the computer. It just seems more complicated than my pc was.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.