Upload iweb into Dreamweaver for my website?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by DyslexicArtist, Oct 30, 2008.

1. DyslexicArtist macrumors member

Hi. I have finished my website made on iweb (ilife 08)...
    I have my own domain name with directnic.com and want to keep it there.

I also have Dreamweaver CS3 (never used it).
    Can I use Dreamweaver as my FTP thing to get it to Directnic?

Please be gentle with me...
    (if that was a ridiculous question)...

I need to know what to do next now that my website is designed and ready to go... thanks!

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I wouldn't try using Dreamweaver for that. I recommend getting a standalone FTP program for uploading the files. Cyberduck is my FTP of choice and is handy for making incremental uploads of iWeb sites using the Synchronize feature (search the forums for more details on that).

3. DyslexicArtist thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I just downloaded Cyberduck... I have no idea what I am doing. Can someone point me to a step by step for dummies - of how to upload an iweb website i created onto my directnic domain? thanks a bunch!

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

See Directnic's web site help.

5. DyslexicArtist thread starter macrumors member

Thanks angelwatt... I have made some REAL progress... I now have my new iweb page actually on cyberduck, along with other stuff somebody else put in my website name place.....

Now my problem, is since I've got in there now, I can't see how I can launch it, or whatever the term is... there doesn't seem to be any choices in cyberduck now...

If I highlight my page on cyberduck, and click upload, it wants to upload it to my computer... I'm confused...

I'm almost there... any more suggestions?

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

If I'm understanding what you're looking at, when you click upload it'll bring up a window that lets you select files from your computer. This is wanting you to select your web files. In iWeb you might have done a publish to folder option (if not, do so now). Then in Cyberduck when you do the upload option you'll go find that folder iWeb created and choose upload. Do make sure though you're in the right folder when you do the upload.

When you first connect to the server there should be a folder named yourwebsitename.com (of course it'll be your specific domain name). This is the folder where you want to upload the web files to.

Cyberduck doesn't "launch" your web site. Once the files are uploaded you'll open a browser and type in the domain name.

7. DyslexicArtist thread starter macrumors member

Right now I am on Cyberduck. I am looking at a page called ft: _(my name etc)____@ftp._________com (my account with all my directnic websites)... somehow I have my new iweb successfully on this !! (wow, this is an accomplishment for me)....

I think I've got my files on cyberduck I want...

I could remove some other ones, and I can see they have vanished from my former website...

But, as I say, I'm on cyberduck and have highlighted the new iweb file I want that seems to be there now completely.... and when i click "upload"... then I don't know what to do, .... I see things like upload it to my HD, or my library or users, or system..... this is where i just don't get it...

thanks for your further help....

8. DyslexicArtist thread starter macrumors member

I know I have my new file in the right place now. It is on cyberduck under my domain name. I know i'm connected. but do I have to do one more thing? Do I have to upload anything else? The new files are not showing on my website. thanks for your help. I know I'm almost there..

9. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

10. DyslexicArtist thread starter macrumors member

hi,,,, i don't know what a screenshot is... (sorry)....

Well, I am just confused because I just uploaded the folder FROM my desktop onto the correct place in Cyberduck.... its there now.

Then if I click upload again on my folder, it wants to put it back on my desKtop?.. well, I just got it from there, so don't need another one....

What should happen when I've got it in place on cyberduck, and somehow it doesn't show... I don't think uploading it to my Desktop or computer is where it is supposed to be?

11. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Screen shot is an image of what's on your computer screen.

Some quick terminology:
    Upload is to move files from your machine to a server, like the web server you're connecting to in Cyberduck.
    Download is moving files from a server to your computer.

I'm not sure what the folder structure looks like on the server you're connecting to. It's possible you need to type in yourDomainName.com/iwebFolderName/

12. DyslexicArtist thread starter macrumors member

Hi Again... well, I don't need to download or upload anything.... it seems... I can see my webpage and it is perfect.... but it is on firefox ----- File://localhost/Users/______/Desktop/ et.etc...........

It shows up great. Perfect.... but when I type in my ___________.com address, it is now blank... I was successful in removing the other page that was there...

Does it take more time or something? could that be it?

thanks SO MUCH... I can't tell you how much I do appreciate your help with this mr. angel....

13. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

It won't be a time issue. Once the upload is complete, it's there. There's really not much more help I can provide unless I see what you're working with, like a screen shot showing Cyberduck and the files you have uploaded.

14. DyslexicArtist thread starter macrumors member

Well, I got thru to directnic.... this is what they say.... I still don't know how to do that either... (so close, yet so far....)

They say:
    [You upload a folder named (my folder) -- which contains your site's files to the directory instead of only the folder's contents.

Please remove the folder and upload all files and sub folders inside the folder to the domain's directory.
    end.

---------------
    ????
    Its all in front of me, but again, when i click upload, -- i can't figure out what to do...
    still confused.....
    thanks for your help.

I'll write directnic again, and see what they say, and write back the solution when i get it. thanks

15. DyslexicArtist thread starter macrumors member

thank you angelwatt -- I did what you said again and this time it worked!

I double clicked on the folder on cyberduck to open the folder.... and then on my desktop I found the iweb folder of my website and opened the folder to all the contents, and then I dragged them into cyberduck one by one... and that did it!! Voila. Website is up...Thanks so much for your help, angelwatt.

16. DyslexicArtist thread starter macrumors member

As a side note, I am finding out that iweb makes for a very "slow loading" website.... very slow!........... and iweb 08 has a big bug in it, one that I notice is that the shadows don't show!.... apparently iweb 06 is way better all around...

GO OBAMA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. Ninja Guidan macrumors regular

Good to hear you got it worked out. One thing about iWeb08 though...it's optimized for .mac (oops...MobileMe). That means some "pretty" functions such as some shadows won't show once uploaded to your hosting provider. They WILL show if uploaded to MobileMe.

18. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

That's good, glad it finally got resolved. It was a little weird. With the uploading slowness, that's partly because uploads are usually slower than downloads, and can also be partly caused by the web host and how much traffic the server is currently dealing with.