Upload offender/Analyze traffic

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dusk007, Apr 6, 2013.

1. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I want to figure out what is causing so much upload on my Mac. In Windows you can just check which application or process is the problem and find out whether it is normal, unnecessary or you are part of a botnet.

I cannot figure out how to check that on Macs.
    I tried Wireshark but that seems ill suited and really complicated. I need to simply see what is periodically loading a couple MB up for no apparent reason (no change in any cloud drive or anything). Which process throws a lot of packets on the network not what each individual one says.

ntop install seems impossible. I just cannot manage and macports seems broken.

Does anybody know some simply app that can just tell me network load with processes. Just like the CPU tab in activity monitor just for network traffic.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Check out little snitch. It will tell you what's coming in and going out.

3. dusk007 thread starter macrumors 68040

dusk007

Afaik it only tells what app asks for access in general not how much.
    It is a tool to shut the doors but it doesn't tell apart an app that queries the web for updates every couple of days with a few Bytes from an app that uploads lots of MB all the time.

Update: Sorry I didn't know there is a Little Snitch network monitor. Looks perfect I will give it a try.