Upload to Dropbox in background?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by dfgddikf, Dec 5, 2018.

  1. dfgddikf macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2015
    #1
    If you import photos from an SD card to camera roll and from there to Dropbox, Dropbox can upload them in the background when your change your position.

    How does this work for you on an iPad with gigabytes of importes photos and videos when your iPad doesn't change position (stay-at-home iPad). There is no way but to reopen the app every few minutes and restart the file transfer, right?
     
  2. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

    Newtons Apple

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2014
    Location:
    Jacksonville, Florida
    #2
    All I do is open DropBox and imitate it to download any images it does not have.
     
  3. dfgddikf thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2015
    #3
    I'm not sure whether you understood what I meant. When an iOS app goes into the background, iOS stops its network activity after a few minutes. If I want to upload many GBs from my iPad to Dropbox, it does take some time (10 MBit/s upload speed). Dropbox has found a workaround which relies on the device changing its position.

    I wanted to know how you people upload to Dropbox on an iPad not changing its position. I can't be the only one who wants to upload many GBs from his iPad to Dropbox.

    I ask this question because I think about getting an iPad as a laptop replacement. The iPad would cover 90% of what I currently use my personal laptop for. I would give this laptop to a family member and use my company laptop for the remaining 10% (maybe by using portable apps from an SD card or external SSD)

    But stress-free uploading to Dropbox from the iPad is crucial for me.
     
  4. ahostmadsen macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2009
    #4
    What do you mean by that?
     
  5. dfgddikf thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2015
  6. JullsJTRIRE macrumors newbie

    JullsJTRIRE

    Joined:
    Nov 26, 2018
    Location:
    I`m in Washington DC
    #6
    May there be any failures with Dropbox? Is it possible that photos will simply get deleted by chance orr something like that?
     
  7. dfgddikf thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2015
    #7
    I'm at dropbox for years. It's absolutely rock solid. If you deleted something you have between 30 and 90 days (depends on account level) to restore it. Additionally I have a special folder, which I do not sync, to which I copy my most important files every few months.
     
  8. muzzy996 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2018
    #8
    Avid Dropbox user here as well, never knew about the location trigger though. Lack of background sync is just something I tolerate on my iPad, mostly because I'll rely on my Android phone to do the heavy lifting when it comes to cloud storage of photos.
     
  9. ahostmadsen macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2009
  10. subjonas macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2014
    #10
    Yeah I think location change is the only way to keep it uploading in the background. So you’d have to take it around with you until it’s finished uploading haha.
    Or maybe you could temporarily turn off auto screen lock (assuming you have it on) and leave the Dropbox app open?
    The only other option is to upload the pics to your phone instead of your iPad, and let it upload to Dropbox in the background from your phone.
     

Share This Page