Uploading a DVD to iMovie, please help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by greysgirl, Apr 23, 2013.

1. greysgirl macrumors newbie

I want to upload DVDs of my favorite TV show to iMovie so that I can turn them into gifs to use on tumblr, so far I haven't been able to do it successfully. Is there anyone that can help me? Or does anybody know any other way to make gifs out of dvds without involving iMovie? I really need help and quickly. Thank you!

2. daileypj macrumors newbie

daileypj

Why not simply pause at the frame of interest, and take a screenshot or copy to the clipboard?

Command-Shift-3: Take a screenshot of the screen, and save it as a file on the desktop.

Command-Shift-4, then select an area: Take a screenshot of an area and save it as a file on the desktop.

You may need to use Preview to export as JPG, PNG, PDF. To export to a GIF in Preview, hold down the option key.

3. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Can you go directly from DVD to iMovie ? I would think that you probably have to rip the DVDs first in a program like handbrake.

4. sunnysweet macrumors newbie

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

Elaborating on this, here is what you need to do::
    - install HandBrake, and convert the DVD to a digital copy (one without copyright info, you can't take screen shots when it's encrypted)
    - save it to your desktop, or wherever
    - import the movie into iMovie, QuickTime, MPEG Streamclip, Final Cut, or any of the other hundreds of solution
    - clip the film to the size of your choosing
    - save as .mov (h.264 or mp4 will do)
    - resave/export as .gif (QuickTime should be able to do this I think!!)