Uploading Avatar - Please Help RESOLVED

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Shrink, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Shrink, Sep 10, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2011

Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I've been trying to upload an avatar form http://avatars.jurko.net. It was my impression that the avatars on this site were geared to be compatible with the MR avatar requirements.

I selected an avatar ("Frankenstein"), under which it provided "Direct Link" and the URL
    http://img1.jurko.net/avatar_18551.gif.

I went to User CP>Edit Avatar. Blue dotted Custom Avatar and entered the above URL. When I click on it I get the message "Remote file is too large".

The actual size of the avatar (in inches) is exactly the same as the avatars on MR. I know that there are data size requirements - but, again, I thought this site was aware of those requirements.

I thought the avatars on http:// avatars.jurko.net were compatible with MR requirements.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. One caveat: please be aware that you are dealing with a moron - please keep that in mind if/when providing instructions. :eek:

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Edit: Any suggestions of other sites that provide MR compatible avatars would also be appreciated.

2. MacHamster68, Sep 10, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

the answer you find direct unerneath where you put in the URL to your avatar

The maximum size of your custom image is 75 by 75 pixels or 29.3 KB (whichever is smaller)

and your avatar has size 287.23 KB and 100x100 pixels so in terms of kb its 10 times to big

3. Shrink thread starter macrumors G3

Shrink

Thanks for quick reply. Sorry to be dense, but how did you find the pixel and kb size of the avatar. I knew there were limits, but I couldn't find the size of the avatar on the jurko site.

Also, are you aware of any sites that provide avatars with the correct pixel and kb size.

Edit: Is there some way for me to modify the pixel/kb size of the avatar if it is the wrong size?

4. MacHamster68, Sep 10, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

easy i just clicked on the url in your post and when the image opened in another tab i looked with a rightclick "view image info "

and to find images that are small enough i always google for a specific image and select icons on the left side in google about image size , then i can see the size too when i choose the image

dont worry its confusing at first but you never stop learning something and there are no stupid questions only stupid answers
    and here another way resizing a image

http://www.techiecorner.com/1178/how-to-resize-image-in-mac-os-x/

5. Shrink thread starter macrumors G3

Shrink

Great! I'll try the google suggestion.

Thanks again...

6. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

this should work, the gif was too big, had too many colors in it an too many frames.

[​IMG]

7. iJohnHenry, Sep 10, 2011
  8. Shrink thread starter macrumors G3

Shrink

Exactly how did you get the picture in your post!!!

Please give me directions how to do what you did so I can upload it as my avatar.

9. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

Just right click on the image and save to your hard drive. After that you can upload it as your avatar.

10. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

He did it using a GIF editor.

It allows changes in the number of frames, less frames = less space, but results in a more jerky movement.

11. Shrink thread starter macrumors G3

Shrink

Once again, thanks.

Still need help...

When I try to save in hard drive, I get a drop down that says I "don't have permission" and directs me to go to Finder and then I'm lost.

Once again I will impose on your patience - EXACTLY (step by step) what do I do in Finder to get permission to save avatar in hard drive.

12. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Right click on the image > Save Image As.

And then save it to your desktop. Then go into the User CP, and upload from file, navigate to the file (Desktop), and then choose the file that you saved.

It doesn't give me any permissions issue. Maybe you don't have write capabilities on the folder you're trying to save it in?

EDIT: Mods, can we not move this until after the thread is resolved?

13. Shrink thread starter macrumors G3

Shrink

Hey, iJohn

Words can't express the level of my ignorance.

I have no idea what GIF editor is. Further, I don't know how I would use it and then download the avatar to MR.

Need REAL SPECIFIC (step-by-step) instructions.

I know you have better rings to do with your day than hold the hand of some noob - but if you can....

----------

Well, got it saved to desktop. Sorry, but lost after that. I go to user CP, what do I click on, and how do I "upload from file, navigate to file (Desktop) and then choose the file..."

14. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

User CP -> Edit Avatar (On the left tab), then on the second ...text box (?), where it says Option 2-Upload from your computer, press the browse button. Then you find your picture on your computer (By going into the Desktop folder), and then hit choose or save or whatever it says. And then save it (At the bottom of the page).

Attached Files:

15. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Not really, just enjoying the 'nothing to do' moment.

I have cold beer ready for this great achievement in the evolution of Mankind. :p

:D

There are SO many things I don't know, that i relish the chance to show-off something that I do. You can download GIF Editor, and play with it for 25 'saves', then you have to pay.

My 25 are long dead in the water. ;)

16. Shrink thread starter macrumors G3

Shrink

YOU ARE MY HERO!!!:D:D:D

IT WORKED.

You are a wonderful and patient person and I am in your debt (up to a point - that point being sending you money :p)

Thank you so much for your patience.

iJohn - All is well. Avatar in place. Don't waste your time responding to my pathetic and pitiful pleas. But, as always, thanks for your willingness to help. (One alter cocker to another. Check with a Jewish grandmother for translation of alter cocker)

17. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I see it, but even I don't hit the keg this early in the day.

Later. :)

18. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

just send the money to me :D

19. Shrink, Sep 10, 2011

Shrink thread starter macrumors G3

Shrink

Sorry, teleromeo, for not thanking you, too. :D

The check is in the mail.

(You know the other two of the Three Great Lies ;):p)

20. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I'll spring for a beer, now that the Sun is over the yard-arm. :)

[​IMG]

21. Shrink thread starter macrumors G3

Shrink

If you hold your arm low enough, the sun is always over the yard-arm :)