Uploading files from iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by fourseasky, Sep 4, 2011.

1. fourseasky macrumors newbie

I have a sneaking suspicion that this topic has been covered before, but here is my issue: I'm frantically trying to upload my CV/Resume to various job application websites, but the browse button to locate the file is grayed out and there is no way to locate my files. Now, I am aware that no files are technically stored on the iPad, even though I have my resume available to view/copy/paste via an attachment in GMail, but is there really no way around this issue? Surely Apple must have devised a way to upload files to job app type sites by now? Help!

2. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

I'm having the same problem when I need to submit my assignments. :(
    Unfortunately, you will have to use a PC or Mac to upload stuff on a website unless they have an app for that.

3. palpatine macrumors 68040

because it lacks a file system (many of us have complained about this), i doubt the ipad will be able to call a file up correctly. i have tried to upload things like screenshots and files from my ipad without success. however, if the pages have the option of downloading from a url, you can make your cv available online so that it can be retrieved via the url.

hopefully someone here will have a workaround. but, i doubt it will use safari, as that browser even goes so far as to gray out the buttons for uploading. icab will enable you to download files, and you can try to upload them, but i have never had it work. sorry.

4. saberahul macrumors 68040

The only work around may be JB'ing. I did write to Apple once about implementing this iOS 5 (a year ago) but they did not listen to me. Hopefully it will come in 6 or when (and if, with a strong emphasis on if) OS X and iOS combine.

5. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

If you upload to dropbox, you can use that to generate a URL for it if the site will take that. Or see if the site has its own app that will do uploads.

6. palpatine macrumors 68040

this is pretty much what i said (great minds think alike). you can get a url easy enough, but if the site requires you to upload files from your drive, then i don't know of any solution with an non-jailbroken ipad.

7. SkepticOnWheels macrumors newbie

Looks like istorage app might do this

Never tried it myself, but the istorage app supposedly allows file upload to websites through use of its own integrated browser. App gets mixed reviews, but most of the complaints seem aimed at its complicated instructions about its other features--not the web uploading.

http://istorageapp.com/

8. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

The iPad has a file system and I can attach files to e-mails if I want. Of course, your iPad has to be jailbroken to do these things.

9. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

The upload feature in iCab does work with some sites. Unfortunately it has to use a workaround, which has limited compatibility. (Their FAQ explains in more detail)

It would be nice if iOS at least had a shared documents folder.

10. swedefish macrumors 6502

This! Not being able to upload is a major nuisance.

11. Trumalou macrumors newbie

iCloud in IOS 5 Online storage

I am told by Apple Support that in IOS 5 out possibly nearer the end of the year will include a free iCloud subscription, which is replacing MobileMe and this will allow storage of files online. The whole idea is to allow files to be accessed by whatever device instead of having to store files all over the place across different devices. Hopefully this will address the upload issues. At least centrally storing files will have less of a performance impact, particularly on mobile devices.

12. Zcott macrumors 68020

Yes, in iOS5 you can store your Pages/Numbers/Keynote documents online, and other apps will support iCloud storage with the correct APIs. However, this won't make any difference to uploading files. Dropbox currently allows online file storage but there's no way of side-loading files from website A to website B.

13. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Goodreader supports uploading to FTP servers if that helps ...

-t

14. Bob Maxey macrumors member

Yes indeed. I jailbroke my iPad because I can access the file system with iFile as well as read/write Flash Drives and MicroSD Cards. Creating folders is a snap and where they go is my choice.

As for email attachments, there are simple solutions on Cydia. For example, AnyAttach. No more Dropbox or pasting file URLs.

15. hchavarria macrumors 6502

This will eventually need to be addressed by apple as other non iOS tablets begin to gain ground which can already do these things. Having this feature in a jailbreak is nice for those that CAN jailbreak but having to wait for a developer to figure out a way to jailbreak or wait until they decide to release is not efficient

16. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I don't put myself in frustrating positions like this.

It's why I have an MBA, a MBP and a Mac Pro... for computer work I use a computer made by Apple :)

For casual web browsing the iPad is my device of choice.

17. ironheadb31996 macrumors newbie

Thank you

I tried that app istorage and it works great for uploading files for my school. I have been looking for this for a long time. Thank you for the tip.

----------

Sorry all I forgot to say that my iPad is not jail broken and with the app istorage you can upload files from your iPad.