Uploading files to my mom's iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Caezar, May 10, 2008.

1. Caezar macrumors 6502

I live in Shanghai. My mom is in Europe. I would like to transfer photos and other files to her iMac through the tubes of the internet.

This way she will be able to view them at full resolution whenever she wants and I will have a copy of the pics backed up in another location.

My question is how can I do that? Is it what FTP is supposed to do? Do I need a special software, such as Cyberduck, Transmit, etc.?

2. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Though this option is a little different then what you are asking for you could set up an account with an internet hosting service. Then transfer files to your website through FTP (Cyberduck).

My account with godaddy.com is about $7 a month and I can store up to 150GB online with a monthly bandwidth limit of 1.5TB. You don't even need to bother with a web page just have your domain name for a password secured FTP access and upload your files. Then your mother or whomever else you want can just browse through the directories and download single files or folders to their computer via cyberduck (or their browser but a dedicated FTP client is better IMHO).

This way you do not need to make sure both computers are on and try to establish a connection. Plus it makes a nice large online backup of your data providing much more storage and a much lower price then .Mac.

3. .mark. macrumors 6502

another option would be to look into JungleDisk. I use it for backups and it's pay-as-you-go so your only paying for how much space/bandwidth your using...