Uploading my movies unto Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Urielnam, Apr 28, 2007.

1. Urielnam macrumors newbie

I am seriously considering buying a Mac and moving from PC to mac but I need to know something before.
    This computer to be, whatever it will be, will be used to edit the videos I shot with my video Camera. How is this handled by Mac? What does my computer need for me to upload these files onto it, what program will I need?

2. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

First off, you should probably explain what exactly you would be doing. If you're transfering files from your PC to your Mac-to-be, all you would need is to dump the files on an external HD, and then copy them on your mac. There are several applications that come with the Mac that are used for reading/editing video. The most important of these is Quicktime, which, when you get the right codecs (flip4mac and peryan, both free), will allow you to read just about any format you would need. For slightly more control, and the ability to do basic editing and exporting, you can get a license to QT pro ($20), which I would recomend. Editing of video on a mac, is once again fairly simple. A mac comes with a piece of video editing software called iMovie. iMovie is a linear video editior, which, for being free, is very powerful, and can be used to create some relatively complex edits. For more power, and the ability to do non-linear editing, you can get a copy of Final Cut Express ($150 educational/ $300 regular), or, if you're a pro, you can get Final Cut Studio ($600 educational/ $1200 regular).

Now, if your question was more about how you would dump the raw video from your camera to your potential Mac, the answer would be slightly more complicated. It would depend on the video format you shoot. Any miniDV camcorder with a 1394 (iLink/firewire) connection can be plugged into a mac, and the clips can be imported into either iMovie, or one of the Final Cuts. A HD camcorder, will work like an external HD, which will allow you to dump your files (via USB), and then convert them with QT. DVD camcorders are a real pain, in that the video is already encoded. This would involve you ripping the video to your machine with something like Handbrake, MacTheRipper, ffMPEGX, or MPEG Streamclip, and then go on editing it in one of the editiors. Hope this answers your question. If you're really into video, I would have a hard time imagining editing footage on something other than a Mac. It's straight- forward, intuitive, and the systems are optimized for this. Cheers.

3. captainbeefheat macrumors regular

It comes with iMovie which you can use for that tis pretty good and very easy to learn plus has HD support. Or if you want something more professional then you could invest in Final Cut

4. Urielnam thread starter macrumors newbie

That's exactly it. I have a MiniDV camcorder, but the only connections I found are the usual Video-out Audio-out

5. trev macrumors 6502

iMovie comes with your computer... it's awsome and I love it. Defineatly the best program out there for video editing, hands down. Also there's iDVD wish is a rellatively decent program for making menus, etc...

6. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

Really? Hmmm... What is the make and model of your camera? A miniDV camcorder uses miniDV tapes. DV in this case stands for Digital Video. A digital video camera (one that uses miniDV tapes) HAS to have a digital output. Otherwise, you might as well be recording onto VHS. Let me know what model it is.

7. Urielnam thread starter macrumors newbie

Sony Handycam Video 8
    ccd-tr420e pal

of course I might be wrong, just a newcomer to this world.

I can see this little thing here, I think it says "RFU DC out" could that be it?

Thanks a lot for your patience and help.

8. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

Wow, how long have you had that thing? It's ancient. :p ;)
    The RFU DC should be your battery charger. From the looks of it, you're right, you have an analog camera. No worries, though, you can still get the movies onto a mac. You'll need an analog to digital video converter.
    Read this article
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61745

Currently at my work we use this gizmo
    http://www.shopping.com/xPF-Apple-Sony-Analog-Media-Converter-T2324LL-A
    but I think that they no longer sell it.

This will do as well
    http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1189883&CatId=1424

9. Urielnam thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, is there any solution? I can't find in store where I live that sell these kind of Converters and importing them might be a very expansive thing.

10. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

I guess my question would be where you lived (like what country). From there, you can post a question in the Digital Video forums, asking people that live there where they can get a similar converter. Most people there are fairly helpful, and will be able to assist you.

11. Urielnam thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, thanks a lot for your help in the matter. I'll go do that, while I'll look around here to see if I can buy some converter

12. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong