uploading my website

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by jer446, Oct 16, 2008.

1. jer446 macrumors 6502a

I currently have a site that I made in iWeb.. Whenever i make a change to my site, I publish it to a folder, then just drag the whole folder into fetch.. the problem is, this takes forever when i need to make frequent changes.. It reuploads every component of my site.

Can i tell fetch to only upload the files that have changed, or should i be looking at the files manually? How do you guys upload your websites?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The simplest solution is this:

Upload only the HTML pages you updated, along with all their support files. The support files will be in a folder called pagename_files, if the page you're uploading is called "pagename".

This will minimize both the chance that you'll upload the wrong thing, and also that you'll upload more than you really need to.

3. ChrisA macrumors G4

I don't know about fetch. But the FTP program I use has a "reverse mirror" command that will transfer only the files that are different. Google for "lftp" for more info. Fink and some other Mac OS software repositories make getting lftp easy. It's free.