Uploading Photos from iPhoto Library

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Rob912, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Rob912 macrumors newbie

First post and want to say this web site has already been great in answering questions.

New Mac user (first 60 days) and had really been wishing that I bought the 1:1 service as the transition from a PC has been hard. :confused:

Watched all of the iPhoto and Finder on line tutorials last couple of days then found this great site via Google. Wish I had found this about 45 days ago. I have done some searches and I am down to a few last questions / confirmations re: iPhoto.

- IPhoto library / pictures in the library are not to be accessed using Finder... it is a finder, not a doer and that is how you end up with those pictures with and ! in them. Correct? I admit that I was thinking finder was like windows explorer and you could do things to photo files, copies, move them around, etc.

- Go to many different Forum sites and I need to upload photos to those site. I can't seem to use the "browse for a file" function from these sites and see any of the photo files in the iPhoto library? From posts and a lot of trial and error is the best way to do is just to export the photos out of iPhoto library to a desk top folder? Seems like a work around. Am I missing something?

- Since I take a lot of photos that will be posted, is there anyway to directly down load the photos to a folder and skip the iPhoto library, create an event naming stuff for pictures that I don't need to edit? I do see my camera as a device only through iPhoto (but not through Finder), but can not access the memory card, photo files, copy them to my Mac directly. ??

- Figured out from this site that the only way to attach photos to gmail messages are either a) export to desk top or b) set up gmail as my default mailer for the mac mail. Hadn't bothered to set up the mac mailer as I hadn't seen what benefit I would gain until I tried attaching photos... Thank you for the posts supporting gmail photo attachments.

Thank you in advance for your help on these questions!

Rob

2. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

Towards the bottom of the right-hand column in the Finder "Browse for file" windows, you will see a "Media" section which also has photos. You can browse your library from there.

3. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Finder is like Windows Explorer, however, with iPhoto, and iTunes, you should not delve into the folders and move/do things from there. You will end up with missing photos/music tracks. Do every thing from within the applications.

Yes, that's the only way with iPhoto, except for things like Facebook where there is an upload button in the main iPhoto window.

You have two options here. In your Applications Folder you have Image Capture. With your camera connected, run this and you can choose various option, download your pictures to iPhoto or somewhere else.

Also, when plugged in, your camera should appear on the desktop. You can then access the pictures on it from there.

If you are going to keep your photos, rather than just post them on a website and then delete them, then it's probably better to use iPhoto.

4. Rob912 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey Thanks!

Thank you everyone for thoughts.

Have been able to email photos once I set up gmail in Apple mail but still not able to upload photos to other forums. Always get the same error message, Upload failed, file may not exist.

Have signed up for a 1:1 session on iPhoto at the Apple store. In the mean time I just email the photos to myself, use a PC and easily upload ??? I am not loading any more pictures on the mac until I figure this out.

I am sure I'll be back with other questions , but now have to figure out iPhoto really frustrated :(

Thanks

5. Rob912 thread starter macrumors newbie

finally using my photos with and without iPhoto

Thanks for all of the posts and after yesterday's one to one session I am in pretty good shape with my photos. Got to learn more about iPhoto and could share what I was trying to do with the hundreds of my photos that are already very well categorized in named (by topic folders, sub folders...sub-sub folders with some about 4 deep. I do car restorations and folders might be on a particular project or part, like carburator (with sub-folders, weber, solex, Dells and Re-build project) . Over time, I add photos to each of theses existing folders so there is no specific date linkage. I might want to edit one photo (like inserting an arrow and text to better explain something), but want to see all the versions of the photo... not asking for iPhoto to see previous versions. Since I have built this structure and understand it, don't need iPhoto to help me manage these folders and my pictures.

Yes it is a work around iPhoto but since I like my ability to manage most of my photos better than iPhoto. Iphoto is great since most people have no idea what file structure in a computer is and really don't need to know.... good way to sell new computers and isn't that what it is all about. iPhoto is so much better to manage photos than anything that MSFT offers.

So from and after the lesson here is what I did yesterday for my existing photos:

- Went to iPhoto Preferences - advanced and unchecked - copy photos to iPhoto (while you still can easily copy photos from your camera to iPhoto if you want to to do this keeps iPhoto in check... just keeps the app under control.
    - Copied my existing file structure and photos from my portable hard drive and copied them to create a mirrored structured under the Pictures folder using finder.
    - Putting them under Pictures main folder allows you to find your pictures for email, uploading, sharing as they will all be listed in Pictures (by your named folders) or in the lower Media section (pictures) when you are browsing to attach a file to upload.
    - I now use image capture tool (love this tool, didn't know it existed) which shows my pictures on the media card of my camera to grab the specific photos I want and put them into the specific folder or sub-folder that exists in my Pictures folder. Not into some iPhoto date driven, event.
    - I now can easily copy / back up that entire My Picture Folder section to my external hard drive (without needing to use export function) and maintain all of my structures and pictures. Would be very unhappy if I lost all of that work and knowledge.
    - Learned a lot about Finder tool and how having 2 Finder tool windows open (one on top of each other) makes it really easy to move files around.
    - If a photo needs to be cropped or adjusted (not very often for me) I'll import a copy into iPhoto, make changes and export back to my folder. Some times I add arrows or captions on a photo and like to save that version and the original version. Didn't really like asking to see previous versions.
    - Since I had mistakenly tried to access photos from iPhoto and corrupted some of the photos (gray with the explanation point) removed / deleted the 50+ pictures or so that I had loaded to originally try to figure out iphoto to start a fresh with iPhoto. Don't access the iphoto library with Finder.

Still will use iPhoto for events like a trip or birthday party and perhaps a slide show (although have to say I rarely make slide shows), birthday card or calendars (never done that... Happy Carburator to you!). Like how easy it does simple things.

Also from the one to one, I now also understand that iPhoto Albums and Folders are really analogous to play lists in iTunes. There are no files in these Albums or Folders, just a pointer to the file that iPhoto keeps track of in the library.

At the one to one session we worked through attaching photos to gmail (don't need to run gmail from Mac mail which I am also happy about) and we still had some problems uploading some files due to size. Imported those large pictures into iPhoto, when using export out function reduced the JEP Quality (high medium, low) or size of picture which changes file size.... you have to use that function that way whether or not you use iPhoto. I know I have added 1 import step for those times.

So after several weeks of trying to understand iPhoto and being really frustrated with iPhoto we are at peace. Have my hundreds of photos back in use, where they should, I can do what I want to do, and iPhoto does what it wants to do (and does it very well) when I allow it.

Thank you for all of your help and hope this post is found by the next person who is finding iPhoto difficult as they come over from a PC.

Rob

6. DemetersRest macrumors newbie

DemetersRest

Uploading Photos from iPhoto Library : Thank you!

I'm new to Mac, been a Windows user since the beginning of time and have had my Macbook for about 2 weeks now. For the most part I'm loving it but I do struggle with the very common advice of "just give in to the Apple way and let it store it's files the way it wants to, not how you think they should be" i.e. iPhoto and iTunes.

I found your above suggestion solved my issue of being able to upload a specific file to a website not supported directly through iPhoto. I do have one other query tho.

In iPhoto I named a photo 'Inverter', and using the Media/Photo link in finder i was able to type this in and it located the photo as expected, but I notice the file itself is still named 'DSC38438743.jpg' etc. Is there a way for iPhoto to also name the file when you name the photo?

Thanks in advance.

7. Romonov macrumors newbie

Can't upload photos from finder window

I can't upload photos from the finder window. When I click on attach photos and the finder window comes up, instead of it showing iphoto, it goes to the imovies folder/ photo booth and the little coloured wheel starts spinning.I then need to go to force quit and in that window it says "Safari not responding" What is happening? This has never happened before.

8. negritolindo macrumors newbie

Duplicated Photos in iPhoto?

After I upload the pictures from the camera and create an album...can I delete the event to save space in the computer? Are the pictures duplicated once I create an album? I'm trying to save space but I'm afraid to loose pictures if I delete the event.