Upon arrival, already a DVD in a new iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by joeswinehart, Sep 28, 2007.

1. joeswinehart macrumors member

So I bought 5 new iMacs for my computer lab...when setting them up, four connected to the wireless network perfectly, one stuttered and I had to go back and try again. Then once they were all set up and logged in, that same machine automatically started playing a DVD. These were fresh from the box, not refurbs or anything, so I am curious as to where the DVD came from. It's nothing interesting, an intro screen called "Revolution Main" and a single link to "beach.mov" which is about a minute-long clip of some couple at the beach. Did some factory worker forget to take out the DVD they use to test drives? I'm not sure if it is worth a call to the rep to ask him about it...I don't want a used mac at a new price, but maybe it's just a test disc. Anyone know of this happening? Attached is a pic of the culprit.
    Cheers-
    Joe

Attached Files:

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

My iMac Core Duo came in a retaped box and with a user account already on it. The machine and the software were still wrapped perfectly. :rolleyes:

3. joeswinehart thread starter macrumors member

Other than the DVD, this one seems a-ok. Just a little weird to see that in there.

4. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

Call customer service and ask them about it. If anything I am curious, and if it DOES turn out to be a mistake or a refurb crazy switchout or something odd like that... maybe you'll get something out of it. hehe.

5. jonnylink macrumors 6502

I have to agree. The worse case scenario is you only find out about this mystery disc. The best case scenario is you find out about the disc and get a freebie of some sort.

6. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

This smells like it was sold as new, returned by the customer, and sold as new again. That's not legal. Why do you think BB, et al. always have "open box" specials for TVs, etc?

I would ask to get a legitimate "new" replacement as paid for.