upper half of the iphone screen has no touch. now what?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hojoon0724, May 18, 2008.

1. hojoon0724 macrumors regular

It just stopped working. It was working this morning then suddenly stops working.

I took it to the Apple store but they had no more slots before my flight.
    Now i'm in LA and I don't know if they can replace it for me.
    Fifth ave store told me they might repair it for me but it was up to the genius

has anyone had this problem so far?

2. neven macrumors 6502a

Yes. This is pretty common. The Apple Store typically replaces these immediately - you should be able to walk out with a new iPhone in a few minutes.

If there is physical damage to the phone or other complicating circumstances, it might not happen.

3. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

The touchscreeen failures are a good reason for people to take note of when their one year warranty ends... and if you can't afford $250 for another phone, it'd probably be a good idea to pay for another year through Applecare.

Personally, I think Apple will eventually face a class action for their refusal to fix the touch screen Strip of Death on jailbroken or dented devices... and they'll settle out of court with Apple store coupons like they recently did because of iPod batteries.

4. VicMacs macrumors 6502

this happens a lot when you drop it... screen needs replacing...

apple has to build a tougher phone.... screens go for 250 bucks + repair cost

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Where in LA are you? San Gabriel Valley, San Fernando Valley, or West LA? Check Apple Stores and drop a pin and there are quite a few in the LA area. Should be replaced immediately. I know this one guy that was adamant about getting his exchanged after the V2 appears, that way he might get a deal on the new iPhone. His top row is unresponsive to the touch, but he says he's willing to wait. Take it in and get it replaced immediately. :cool:

6. hojoon0724 thread starter macrumors regular

just took it to the one in glendale and they replaced it for a new one

i havent dropped my phone once so i dunno why this happened

7. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yep, the Glendale Galleria has a great store and a whole bunch of room. I'm glad you got a replacement iPhone. :cool:

8. chwhale macrumors member

My touch screen recently stopped working on an upper section of the screen. Is this the strip of death? The whole screen wasn't dead, but maybe 10% of it and only on the very top.

9. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Try the hard-boot, then try your nearest Apple Store. They can also send you a box for free shipping to them if you are no-where near an Apple Store. Good Luck, it's still under warranty, unless it's jailbroke or unlocked. :cool:

10. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Yes, although the strip location varies.

Once in a while it's just hung software and a restore will fix it. Otherwise, it's time to go for a replacement phone... assuming your warranty is still good. (Soon many won't be.)

When this were first reported a few weeks after sales launch, I figured it was a connector problem. It also seems to happen a lot after drops, which seems like a connector. Some people swear they never dropped it, or that any drop was months previous, so it's hard to tell what's happening.

Apple no doubt knows whether it's a connector or the touchscreen or other hardware, but hasn't revealed anything. If you admit to Apple that you have ever dropped it, they won't replace it.

Apple should extend the warranty for the touchscreen. If they're going to tout it, they should keep consumer confidence in it. Kind of like how hybrid car makers have extended battery coverage.

11. wmzieg macrumors newbie

No replacement anymore

Just visited my local Apple Store for the "dead screen" issue (across the "4-5-6" row of the phone touch pad.) No responsiveness. Tried to sell me a new phone as that would be "cheaper than a repair." Pointed out that the failure had happened after warranty and "what did I expect." Really bad attitude.

12. daonesteven macrumors 6502

unless you really had not known that your iphone went out of warranty before you went in, what exactly did you expect when you went into the apple store with a phone that went broken after its manufacturer's warranty? I mean, from your story I can't tell whether you didn't buy AC and this was when your first year had already expired or if you had and that itself also had expired. If it's the former, don't you think that's the whole point of warranty, so that you can have an insurance policy for random situations/occurrences that you didn't plan on, such as yours? Even if it's the latter situation, you're just gonna have to deal with the fact that Apple only offers 2 years of maximum possible warranty and that's it, they make the phones, they can decide however long they'd like to service it.

Apple store employees shouldn't be rude to any customer no matter how insensible their situation turns out to be so I feel that is unfortunate you had to deal with that, but c'mon, throw me a bone here.

13. curly14 macrumors regular

curly14

Locate the guy who bought a 32g and can’t afford the payments:D