Upper lid/screen detaching

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sumtingwong-lid, Nov 30, 2013.

1. sumtingwong-lid macrumors newbie

Hello.

I've got a problem with the upper lid/screen of my MacBook Pro[15-inch, Mid 2009] as seen in the image below:
    [​IMG]

I tried searching for a solution online, but sadly I don't even know how to name this problem.

Some background: this started happening about a year ago, but the gap was barely noticeable, so I didn't pay much attention to it. In time it became wider. When I shut the lid I have to press that area down separately in order to fully close it. I also started noticing some unfriendly noises (cracks) when opening/closing the lid.
    One more thing. Sometimes Airport won't turn on after closing the lid, even more, say there is no wifi hardware installed. It's really annoying.

Just to make it clear, laptop never fell on the floor, nor was damaged else-how.

Thank you for your help!

2. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

Even iFixit doesn't have a guide on fixing that. I'd say bring it to an Apple Store. They'll most likely blame you on dropping it. But maybe you can persuade them. There are no marks/dents/damage after all.

3. triplelucky macrumors regular

I had a same/similar problem with a mid 2009 15.

What had happened is that the “frame” part of the lid on the side of the lcd panel behind the front glass had broken at a point where the frame screws into the lid shell about and inch up on the left as you look at the display.

The frame part is held to the lid shell part with a few screws and adhesive . When the frame breaks at the weak point where the screw hole is it allows the adhesive to loosen up and this allows the whole frame lid hinge assembly to move way out of tolerance which puts pressure on the glass front over the display.

When it gets bad enough it will break the glass front.

There is no correct and easy way to fix this other than to replace the lid/frame assembly with a new one.

4. snarkdek macrumors newbie

Your battery is expanding and needs to be replaced. That is what is causing this.

5. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Battery is at the front, not near the hinge.