uprade from 10.4.11 to 10.6 using 10.6 universal cd

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Louisss, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Louisss macrumors newbie

Hi

I have a Macbook pro with an intel processor, running on mac os 10.4.11. And I have a universal cd of 10.6.
    How can I upgrade without losing my apps?
    I can't spend money on that, so I need a free solution :)

Thank you

2. simsaladimbamba

This ought to help, but do a backup before via CarbonCopyCloner (version 3.4.7 is still free) or SuperDuper! to an external HDD anyway.

Btw, if you have purchased the apps legally (free apps can be downloaded again), you should still have the media it came with. If you got those apps illegally, they can still be acquired legally anyways.

3. benwiggy macrumors 68020

A default install will replace your OS, leaving all your apps, data and settings in place.
    However, you should have a backup regardless.

4. Louisss thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks simsaladimbamba, but in the link you posted, they talk about a 29$ upgrade. I don't have that I only have a universal Swon leopard CD....is it the same (I am mac newbie...)?

thanks benwiggy, is it that simple? because if it is, the process in the link from simsaladimbamba seems to be overcomplicated....

5. simsaladimbamba

The 29 USD DVD is the one they talk about and it is the same you have, it can be used to upgrade from Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger to Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard by just putting it into the optical disk drive (ODD) of your Mac, and pressing that INSTALL icon, that appears once the DVD is mounted.

But in any case, do a backup beforehand, in case something goes awry.

6. Louisss thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thank you.
    I am going to try that then.
    Thanks

7. Louisss thread starter macrumors newbie

I inserted the universal 10.6 DVD, rebooted, chose installation...and now it says that it requires 10.5 or later to be installed on the machine to process.
    What should I do?

8. simsaladimbamba

What exact Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard DVD do you have and where did you get it?
    Is a clean install an option?

To create a Clean Install (formerly known as Erase & Install) of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard (the 19 USD Upgrade DVD is a fully working retail version of Mac OS X and does not need a prior installation of Mac OS X on the Mac), follow one of the following guides:

9. Louisss thread starter macrumors newbie

Now I can't eject the DVD...!! how to eject please?

It is an official install DVD, my father asked me to install it...I don't more, there not much written on it. Sorry no, a clean install is not possible.

Is there a way to upgrade from 10.4 to 10.5, ALL ways are welcome...

10. simsaladimbamba

In other words, it is the 29 / 19 USD version, you can buy from Apple looking like this:
    [​IMG]
    and you do not have a backup?

Only with the Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard Retail DVD costing around 100 USD and more when found via eBay and similar sites.

Do you have any Mac proficient friend or colleague or know someone, that is Mac proficient?

11. Louisss thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks I managed to eject it holding the mouse button down during boot.

Yes that is exactly this dvd.

No I don't have friends to help around...only you! :)

I see that I can find Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard Retail easilly but I have no DVD double layer burner....

12. simsaladimbamba

It would be cheaper to get an external HDD, install Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard onto that, create a second partition roughly the size of the internal MBP's HDD, use CarbonCopyCloner (version 3.4.7 is still free) to clone that internal HDD to the second partition, install Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard via a Clean Install onto the internal HDD and use Migration Assistant to migrate your data and applications from the external HDD.
    Or even simpler just install Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard onto the external HDD, migrate from the internal HDD if possible and then clone that back to the freshly formatted internal HDD.

In any way, you should have a backup, especially for software you have paid for and do not have the install media anymore.

And even if you have not paid for the software and do not want to acquire it again for whatever reason, a backup is a necessary tool for many cases. HDDs WILL fail, some sooner, some later. And a backup is cheaper than data recovery (software for 100 USD, using a company and sending your HDD in 1,000 USD and more).

It is your computer and your data, act accordingly.

13. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Are you sure? Check it carefully for the words "drop in"; those require 10.5 to be installed and it therefore sounds like that's what you have.

Any Apple-provided DVD drive can read a double-layer DVD, even if it can't burn them.

14. Louisss, Mar 8, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2013

Louisss thread starter macrumors newbie

Indeed you're right...there is "drop-in" written on it....

Thanks simsaladimbamba, good idea the migration thing. I have found a 10.5 dvd thant I can put on USB stick....I don't know which option is simpler. Maybe it is simpler to install 10.5 first...

I have a big external HDD but it is formatted in NTFS. I guess I could partition just a part of it in HFS+...which partition tool for mac os X is able to do this?

15. Louisss thread starter macrumors newbie

ok
    I found a 10.5 update on the web.
    I then used disk utility, and restore the update to a usb key (formatted in mac formatted journaled).
    I booted on this usb key, installed the update.
    Then I was able to use my 10.6 drop-in dvd to update to 10.6.

Thanks for you help.