Uprgrading from macbook to imac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by theshark989, May 10, 2009.

1. theshark989 macrumors newbie

Last year I purchased a black macbook 4GB for my freshman year in college.
    I love Apple and the products; however, I am regretting the decision of buying a laptop and I am now looking into buying a desktop iMac. I was wondering if anyone may have any tips on how to trade in or sell my macbook, or which would be most cost effective as I have little money being a college student.

2. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

Mac's mostly buy themselves. A few tips, however:

-Craigslist it great, but never ever ship the laptop. If the person can't meet in person, they aren't worth the hassle. Do the transaction in a public place (a bank is preferable so you can deposit the money right then and there). You should probably bring a friend as well, since we're talking about a lot of money. As always, avoid deals that sound too good to be true. They usually are.

-eBay is another good resource, but be prepared to get reamed on fees. When I sold my Xbox 360 for $180, between eBay and Paypal I lost $20... which is a damn lot for basically hosting a tiny ad and doing a small money transfer. Also, only accept Paypal and only ship to verified addresses... again, you're dealing with a lot of money so you want to do things to code.