UPS Advice?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by videoed, Sep 2, 2010.

1. videoed macrumors regular

hi,

have some Mac Pros coming in for video editing, wondering if anyone has tips for picking out UPS

thanks

2. diazj3 macrumors 6502a

There are plenty of threads on the UPS subject... try searching the MP Forum.

...here's one from yesterday.

3. videoed thread starter macrumors regular

4. diazj3 macrumors 6502a

You're welcome... some of those threads are a bit long.... but long story short, look for a Smart UPS with "true sine wave", at least 1000 VA. APC seems to be the brand of choice, specifically their Smart UPS line. I've got a SUA1500 - pricy but totally worth it for reasons discussed in the previous threads.

cheers!

5. macman05 macrumors regular

6. iRobertM macrumors regular

Does it protect against surge? - Check
    Will it keep the computer online long enough to power down? - Check
    Does it have enough voltage to run my components? - Check

Thats what I look for, sure there are "better" options but I don't require the Lexus of battery backup. Plus one thing I have noticed about those $500 protecters are the fans are loud and annoying.

Anyways my two cents.

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

You missed one...
    • Can a stepped wave output damage the PSU/s it's running? - Check

BTW, even the Online units only have about 480 Joules of surge protection. Considering you'd want ~3k Joules +, it's rather light. You can however, get a good Surge Suppressor, and place it between the wall and the UPS.

8. iRobertM macrumors regular

I don't know, I have been running these types of units forever, never had a problem. In fact most of these protectors come with a connected equipment replacement cost warranty. Maybe I just have gotten lucky but I will be damned if I am going to listen to a 45-55 db fan all day/night long and have to pay an extra $200 to protect for the exact conditions mine does not protect for. Oh well, bottom line is, its your money buy what you want.

9. nanofrog macrumors G4

Sometimes they're fine, others, not so much (damage only occurs when the Inverter is active). Not all UPS's are built to the same specifications (even if the same type), and then there's the PSU to consider as well (i.e. how was it built).

As per the fan noise, they're set to come one when the inverter is operating, so for Line Interactive models, it's only when it switches over to the batteries. Online units can run permanently (may also only kick on when the load is high), but they usually have better cooling anyway, and may not even have a fan (depends on age, as I've seen it both ways).

Generally speaking, I've seen better results from APC and Tripp Lite (no damage; US). But some of the newer/unknown brands are usually the culprits for damaging equipment.