UPS/Apple Shipping Process EXPLAINED - NO STATUS UPDATES - NO ORDER TIMES!

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by samcates86, Apr 27, 2015.

1. samcates86, Apr 27, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2015

samcates86 macrumors member

Based on information I have collected from the input from this forum and my own research I think I have the logistics of shipping of JUST THE WATCH nailed down FOR THE US, however may be similar in other markets... Please do not reply with shipping estimates, times, or charge status.

Online (Processing)​

1. Order Placed online
    2. Order received by Apple and Processing Begins (Email sent to customer)(this will be when you get your ship date estimate - once you have a production date you will go from a generic time "June" for example to "May XX - JuneXX - It will update in real time as production times shift)
    3. Order entered into pending order list​

Asia(Processing)​

4. Production
    5. Packaging
    6. Inventory lined up with customer orders
    7. Orders packaged in bulk - We've noticed most are packaged in groups of the same products.
    8. Product sent to airports in China
    9. Cargo loaded on to planes.
    10. Planes take off​

Alaska(Processing)​

11. Cargo planes land in Alaska
    12. Large batches of prelabeled inventory are unloaded from planes and sent to customs (at the airport - can be "pre-cleared" in some cases ahead of time to speed up the process)
    13. Bulk shipment cleared by customs
    14. UPS lines up credit card information collected by Apple with inventory cleared by customs. (two way communications between companies.

Credit Card Charged (Processing)​

15. Credit Card Charged
    16. Orders are moved into Apple's inventory system for processing
    17. Cargo is reloaded onto specific planes headed for the different distribution centers in the US for routing to specific destinations. (most will go to KY as that is UPS Worldport.. Virtually all AIR shipments go through there. Every night they process over a million packages.)

Kentucky (Preparing to ship)​

18.Planes land at Worldport in KY.
    19. Each shipment is scanned by itself by UPS sorting mechanism.

Shipping Notification Sent(Shipped)​

20. UPS officially starts tracking package and you can too
    21. Apple and UPS share info and you get your e-mail and store site updates to shipped with estimate.
    22. Products make it to the final destination...

2. HarpuaPerk macrumors member

You people are investing way too much time into this.

3. d0minick macrumors 6502

This whole threads reads like an episode of silicon valley. I second your comment.

4. samcates86 thread starter macrumors member

Haha! I agree!! I am just tired of reading the same stupid questions over and over again.. By not having a zillion people reply to this thread saying that they,"ordered their watch at XX:XX:XX and I hope Angela gets fired," It will stop the stupid posts...

5. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

Reading tea leaves provides a similar explanation.

[​IMG]

6. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

I ordered online, I'm at step #3. It's a looooong way to go to get to #22

7. leesweet macrumors demi-god

leesweet

Okay, perhaps a bit much, but now I have to ask: Did *every* watch go through Kentucky? I thought, like phones, there were many/several landing/distribution points.

8. LiemTa macrumors 6502

You just don't know what it's like to be vested in something you care about. Therein lies the true essence of your character.

9. samcates86, Apr 27, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2015

samcates86 thread starter macrumors member

Yes and NO - The "Launch supply" that shipped straight from warehouses probably went either direct to the warehouse, or through Kentucky on a pallet then on to the warehouse until launch day to be shipped. The tracking would have started from the warehouse - however, after leaving the warehouse in.. say Philly, depending on where it was going it would have bounced back through Kentucky, but if it stayed on the east coast, it may fly straight to the destination. It would be UPS's call though, after the product leaves Alaska, it's considered sold, and is no longer Apple's property.

All inventory now though is coming the way I describe it.. I may be a little off, but overall I feel I am accurate as far as the process.

10. HarpuaPerk macrumors member

Oookay, Kanye.

I'm waiting just like you, but I'm patient. Go outside and read a book.

11. WilliamLondon macrumors 68000

WilliamLondon

Ha!

Sadly, far too many members here have such a victim mentality coupled with unreasonable expectations that they will read the leaves and see the grim. No matter what the pattern of the leaves, no matter when they ordered their watches or the current status of their orders or what Apple communicated to them, the grim will be staring back at them from the bottom of their cups. :eek:

12. karinatwork macrumors regular

karinatwork

Well, your explanation is already not the case in my particular shipment. I suppose the exception proves the rule.

13. samcates86 thread starter macrumors member

You are in CANADA this is for the US.

14. karinatwork macrumors regular

karinatwork

I suppose UPS Canada is less efficient than UPS US. At least that's my experience (with shipping addresses both in the US and Canada.)

15. specik macrumors 6502

specik

So I have a question about this.

My order moved to "Shipped" and received a tracking number early yesterday. UPS tracking shows label created, with a scheduled delivery date of tomorrow.

UPS shows the package coming from MOUNT JULIET, TN, US but according to tracking, UPS hasn't even picked it up.

Those that have had their watches delivered already, did your package start tracking from TN/KY or did tracking only go live once it reached your local hub?

16. bruceabbott macrumors member

APPLE INC DC L at 578 ALDI BLVD, MOUNT JULIET, TN

They have a DC in Mount Juliet, TN. They're going here before being shipped. Not direct from China to UPS in KY.

17. Docd62 macrumors regular

Apple has a just distribution centers that are in the loop also. So after it arrives in Louisville world hub it is sent there where it prepares for its final shipments to the customers. A couple I know of are in Tennessee and Philadelphia. It then may be routed back through Louisville before going to it final destination.

18. Teach4 macrumors 6502

Teach4

Do you guys know there is a strike with dock workers on west coast. I just tried to order a TV and it will take three weeks because of the strike.

19. nrubenstein macrumors 6502

Good thing all of this is arriving by air freight.

20. adammull macrumors 6502a

adammull

Aviato

We need to do what any animal in nature does when it's cornered: act erratically and blindly lash out at everything around us.

Attached Files:

21. adammull macrumors 6502a

adammull

Mine is starting in Harrisburg, PA. No mention of shipping from China. I assume the packages were not scanned until already at their regional sites.