Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrFusion

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2005
West-Europe
Hello

Can anyone recommend a UPS system for an iMac + external hard disk?
It is not to continue working, but to close open files and shut down safely.

Does Mac OS X support UPS? Suppose I am not at my computer at the time the power is interrupted, will Snow Leopard than automatically shut down safely?

Thanks!

tomllama

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2007
CA
Yes.

My UPC UPS works just fine with my Macs. It connects to the Mac via a USB cable and you control how it works via System Preferences.

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
I have an APC which works ok. Intergration is 50/50. You can view the power status of the battery in the menu bar just like If you had a portable mac, which is nice, but the PowerChute software is essentially just a shutdown script, wheras the Windows version of PowerChute gives you plenty of configurables and reporting options.

Thiol

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2008
Hello

Can anyone recommend a UPS system for an iMac + external hard disk?
It is not to continue working, but to close open files and shut down safely.

Does Mac OS X support UPS? Suppose I am not at my computer at the time the power is interrupted, will Snow Leopard than automatically shut down safely?

Thanks!

This is the basic one I have for home:
http://www.apc.com/products/family/index.cfm?id=21

Most except for the smallest model come with software that allows you to connect your computer to the UPS for auto shutdowns.

mfram

Contributor
Jan 23, 2010
San Diego, CA USA
I have my 24" iMac plugged into an APC UPS. It works great. You can plug in the UPS to the Mac via the USB port if you want and the Mac will monitor it.

But... here's a warning why you may not want to do it.

I get occasional power glitches at home. No lights flash, but the UPS notices and kicks in for about 3 seconds. Now imagine your Mac is asleep; resting nicely when a small glitch occurs. That will cause USB traffic... which will wake up the Mac! So now my sleeping Mac will *wake up* when a power glitch happens. Because of this, I unplugged the UPS from the USB port. I'll know if the power goes out when I'm using the computer and can shut it down manually.

BTW, I didn't need to add any extra software. The Mac can monitor the UPS without adding anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.