UPS backup?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by driftless, Dec 21, 2011.

1. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

It's time to reevaluate home office and I want to add a better UPS protection system. I don't need server grade but I do want something that is appropriate a small mac based home office. Does anyone have recommendations or cautions? Thanks.

2. jertronic macrumors member

I just purchased a CyberPower 1000 PFCLCD UPS with pure sine wave output from Amazon today $129. My new iMac 21 is 8 weeks old and I have not protected the machine in any way up until now. If this protection will prolong the life and health of the iMac and it's hard drive then $129 is money well spent IMO.

You need to get something for surge/UPS battery capabilities.

3. driftless thread starter macrumors demi-god

driftless

Yes, one of friends had an iMac fried when lightning hit her light post in front of her house last year.

4. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

Costco sells these for $89.99. I purchased 3 to replace my older APC's. So far I'm very pleased with them. BTW, I've been using Battery Backups since the early 90's. These get my approval. That said, nothing will protect electronics if lightning strikes a power line right outside your home..

[​IMG]

5. dc52nv macrumors member

This is right on my budget. Will this also work for my game room setup with 55" LCD, surround sound receiver, cable box and ps3?

6. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

No way I'd plug a TV, especially one that size, into a small UPS - there simply isn't enough battery power to make it worthwhile. For your gaming setup (including the TV), you're probably just better off with a decent surge protector.

I can see why you might want a PS3 on UPS (to save your game in the event of a power failure), but really, putting the TV, surround sound, and cable box on it just isn't practical.

7. dc52nv macrumors member

Thank you for your quick reply. I currently have it on a surge protector but it's pretty old and don't trust it much. Are there any you would recommend for this set up?

8. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I have one of my CyberPower UPS's hooked up to my 40" Samsung LCD along with a Verizon HI Def DVR, my Surround Receiver, my Mac Mini and my Apple TV all running at the same time and I'm only using 27% of it's capacity which means I'd get 19 minutes of battery time.. More than enough power even for your system to safely run on battery for 10 or so minutes, more than enough time to shut your system down.. Remember, most power interruptions are only momentary.

9. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Skip the "power strip" computer type surge protectors and get one for a home theater setup.

This is just one of a VERY large selection, but it's made for all your home theater devices plus your incoming TV/satellite/cable signal.

http://www.frys.com/product/6175419?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

10. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Just plug the power hungry devices (TV, receiver, etc) into the surge protection only power outlets on your UPS. You don't want them on battery backup. You'd need a ridiculously huge UPS to run them for any length of time.

You need to consider your specific devices and then find a UPS with suitable capacity.

11. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

I use a APC Back-UPS ES-550 for my 21.5" iMac and some accessories. It's worked well for me.