UPS coming at ridiculous hours..

ApplePersonFreak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 23, 2016
Is it just me, or is UPS coming at crazy hours now opposed to before? I had one package from Amazon come after 7:45PM and today expecting another package and time frame of delivery was 4:45 - 8:30pm.. it’s dark out and they’re not here yet. What is going on? They typically came within a reasonable hour when I purchased things in the past so I don’t get it. And it being dark out, opening your front door not knowing who’s outside is quite creepy.

bunnspecial

macrumors 604
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Are you sure it's not Amazon's courier service?

We order a decent amount from Amazon at work and have had a real problem with them attempting delivery at ridiculous hours when we're not open-we had one package with 3 attempts in a row between 9:00PM and 11:00PM, and there was seemingly no one to contact to say we needed delivery before 5:00PM.

If it is UPS-bear in mind that if a driver is on a mixed business-residential route the businesses will typically get shuffled to earlier in the day. Fortunately UPS and Fed-Ex at least seem to understand the concept of business hours, but residential deliveries can suffer as a result.

SDColorado

Contributor
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Is it just me, or is UPS coming at crazy hours now opposed to before? I had one package from Amazon come after 7:45PM and today expecting another package and time frame of delivery was 4:45 - 8:30pm.. it’s dark out and they’re not here yet. What is going on? They typically came within a reasonable hour when I purchased things in the past so I don’t get it. And it being dark out, opening your front door not knowing who’s outside is quite creepy.
They do that around here as well. I swear during the holiday season they were out there as late as 10PM. I have seen those Amazon vans out really late as well.

jtara

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2009
Yes, I've had UPS come at crazy hours.

Once I got a notice that said in effect it was a dangerous neighborhood, and so they couldn't deliver late at night. (It wasn't a dangerous neighborhood...)

It's because SO much more stuff is being delivered today, so many shippers want signatures because of widespread package theft, and people aren't home to receive the packages.

We recently got Luxer One lockers in my building. The mailroom was getting literally stacked up with boxes. They are Amazon-like lockers you unlock with an app, and all the delivery services use them. (After some... ahem... "training"...) Shippers get their signature on the locker screen when you pick up your package.

I think we got screwed, though. Amazon has Amazon The Hub, which is similar (and accepts packages from all delivery services as well) but only has an up-front cost, and then NO monthly fees. (Of course, Amazon collects usage data!)