UPS connection with Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by niewiesznic, Jan 4, 2010.

1. niewiesznic macrumors regular

niewiesznic

Hello,
    I was wondering if Time Capsule can operate with UPS via USB connection (like QNAP or Synology or FreeNAS) ?
    Is there some option for it in firmware ?
    I have the USB cable to connect the UPS to computer / other, and UPS can work this way ( Smart APC 650 ).

If not, i was wondering if Apple could add this function. I have AP client, 3 hard disks and 3com gigabit switch connected to TC. It would be nice if TC could check the power status of UPS, and work with it.

Thanks for opinions.

Niewiesznic.

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

I'm not quite sure what you're asking, but I'll take a stab at it. :p

The UPS should be connected to the system. That way, if the power goes down, it can send a signal to the system which tells it what's happening. Then the software kicks in, and applies the settings (i.e. save & shut down).

Since the TC is also connected to the system, it should get commands as well (just not directly from the UPS).

3. skorpien macrumors 68020

The USB on the Time Capsule is strictly for sharing USB printers and HDDs, and for using a connected HDD to archive the contents of the Time Capsule (done manually via AirPort Utility). Any other USB device will not function with the Time Capsule, aside from possibly being able to draw a charge from the USB port to charge its internal batteries.

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

I understand that, but if the system gets a command from the UPS the power is down, I'm thinking it should then send out commands to the Time Capsule, and subsequent attached devices (if applicable/they can respond, such as a shut down).

I'm not sure what's going on in per real world though.

5. niewiesznic thread starter macrumors regular

niewiesznic

Hmm.. I don't think that if I plug in UPS via USB to the my MBPro it would affect the TC.
    If it does, its not the solution for me, since as i wrote all my wifi/media/sharing data devices are powered by APC Smart 650.

For second monitor and laptop, plus other devices connected to MBPro i have another APC, also connected via USB to the computer.

i was thinking rather about the standalone working TC managing power for devices solution (Via USB connection with UPS).

I was thinking Apple used some function of USB port for taking control of Power Management on UPS. It's a pity.
    Anyway thanks.
    I should buy Synology or Qnap instead.

Take care,

niewiesznic

6. skorpien macrumors 68020

Ah I see. I was explaining to the OP how the USB port on the Time Capsule functions, but I understand where you're coming from.

I don't know if Apple would implement anything like that into the TC as there is no way to shut it down short of unplugging it/otherwise cutting the power off.

I've interrupted my TC mid backup before and I know that it's capable of picking up where it left off, so I'm certain that cutting the power off won't have any consequences to the internal workings of the Time Capsule. Though I understand that this would not be ideal, it's just the way the TC works unfortunately.