UPS Customs brokerage fees and eBay

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by flopticalcube, Jan 10, 2011.

1. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I purchased an AVR on eBay and the seller specifically said they would ship USPS, which I like because of their lack of brokerage fees at customs. I paid for the item and it's described shipping. The seller has told me the item has shipped but via UPS and not USPS. I know UPS will charge me about $45 brokerage fees. Should I hash this out with the seller before the package arrives or when it arrives should I decline it or accept it, pay the excess fees and start a PayPal dispute? I feel I'm not getting the service I purchased and thus entitled to compensation.

2. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

3. flopticalcube thread starter macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Helpful as always, waloshin. :rolleyes:

4. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

contact the seller ASAP and ask why he shipped UPS and not USPS ... maybe he will work something out by crediting your PP account.

5. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Anytime. :)

6. Rooskibar03 macrumors 65816

Rooskibar03

Did the sellers ad on eBay say the item would be shipped via USPS? If so and he send via another carrier you might have a case under the buyer protection program.

If he just verbally told you that in an email you are probably SOL, but I would still file a claim and see what happens. eBay sides with the buyer so much anymore you might end up being surprised.

7. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I would at least try and work things out with the seller first. Maybe it was an honest mistake.

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Honestly, I tend to take the hit and ship ups over USPS even when I send something for free. It is not an always, but it happens. I'd contact the seller.

9. flopticalcube thread starter macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Yes. It specifically mentions USPS and the amount jives with the quote I get from the USPS site.
    I contacted the seller and UPS. Brokerage fees come to $57 vs $8 max for USPS/Canada Post. I asked him to pay the difference and I will swallow the duties (Canada Post often doesn't charge but it's hit and miss). He refused and said he would rather cancel the shipment which I have agreed to. Unfortunately the seller moves very slowly and UPS has picked up the shipment. I will contact the seller again and ask again if he will credit me the difference. If not, I will refuse the package, let him pay the return cost and open a dispute with eBay as the goods were not delivered as purchased. Stupid or uninformed people on either side of the transaction can sour an eBay experience very quickly. :mad:

10. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Worst case scenario, can't you just refuse the delivery?

11. flopticalcube thread starter macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Yes. I have already informed the seller that I will if he won't pay the brokerage difference and dispute PayPal for a refund. He will then be liable for both the brokerage fees and the return fees.