UPS delays Iphone shipment @ apple's request

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by larry1302, Sep 26, 2012.

1. larry1302 macrumors newbie

For everyone still waiting for your new Iphone 5 from China, it may take a little longer at apple's request. I checked the status of my orders this morning and was suprised to see all 3 had left ZhengZhou China a second time, 16 hours after it left the first time according to UPS. Tracking info below:

Chek Lap Kok, Hong Kong 09/26/2012 10:30 A.M. Arrival Scan
    ZhengZhou, China 09/26/2012 8:30 A.M. Departure Scan
    ZhengZhou, China 09/25/2012 4:10 P.M. Departure Scan
    ZhengZhou, China 09/23/2012 11:00 P.M. Origin Scan

I contacted UPS about this as their Delivery Commitment from Asia to the US is 4-5 days. UPS informed me that the packages were delayed at the request of apple:mad::mad::mad:. So I ask you, why would the hardware manufacture intentionally delay their shipment??:confused::confused::confused:
    Transcript of UPS chat session below:

Eleazer H.: Hi, this is Eleazer H.. I'll be happy to assist you.

Eleazer H.: Thanks for your patience while I review your transcript. I'll be with you in just a moment.

Eleazer H.: I am checking your tracking information.

Larry: ok

Eleazer H.: I totally understand your concern, the thing is those package were shipped on the 23rd and it seems they are on its normal transit to be delivered on time, per Apple request those packages will be delivered on October 1st

Larry: So you are saying that Apple requested they not be delivered until 10/1/2012?

Eleazer H.: That's correct.

Larry: OK, thank you for checking.

Eleazer H.: You're welcome. Goodbye.

Eleazer H. has disconnected.

2. PrestonWard macrumors member

I think you received false information. One of mine left the same days as yours

Louisville, KY, United States 09/26/2012 1:23 A.M. Arrival Scan
    Anchorage, AK, United States 09/25/2012 2:25 P.M. Departure Scan
    09/25/2012 12:50 P.M. Arrival Scan
    Incheon, Korea, Republic of 09/25/2012 11:59 P.M. Departure Scan
    09/25/2012 8:30 P.M. Arrival Scan
    ZhengZhou, China 09/25/2012 5:16 P.M. Departure Scan
    ZhengZhou, China 09/23/2012 7:35 P.M. Arrival Scan
    09/23/2012 7:05 P.M. Departure Scan
    09/23/2012 6:18 A.M. Origin Scan
    China 09/23/2012 8:32 A.M. Order Processed: Ready for UPS

3. whiskeyred macrumors regular

I see the same information on mine as the OP.

4. bbowen macrumors member

hmm, I wonder if they identified a problem and held certain ones in order check it out?

5. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Would be curious to see what is happened. I can see no other earthly idea why shipments would be held up once in the shippers hands.

6. DynaFXD macrumors 6502a

DynaFXD

+1 I would be curious to see if ANYTHING happened. Apple said Oct 1, UPS is saying Oct 1. So far, sounds like nothing to see here. Trying to read anything into a consumer facing tracking system or talking to well meaning but 'can-only-see-what-is-on-the-monitor' CSR is not going to yield high quality information. The package is, moving. People make mistakes. Oct 1 has not changed.

>So you are saying that Apple requested they not be delivered until
    >10/1/2012?

I doubt Eleazer H has that kind of information. She did not say or intimate that in the previous lines of discourse. You drew that conclusion and she/he probably just reflexively said ... "Yeah [... October 1]" She/he can't promise sooner after all.

7. jeblis macrumors regular

The customer service rep is probably just confused. The original batch were held by UPS at Apple's request to make sure they were not delivered before the 21st.

8. larry1302 thread starter macrumors newbie

PrestonWard: I had a 4th phone ship same day and get thru, it's now scheduled for Thursday the 27th for delivery.

Bbowen: I was thinking more along the lines of the carriers AT&T/Verizon not wanting their call centers flooded on Friday evening so the request date was Monday.

Dynafxd and Jeblis: This was the second rep in the chat, this was from their international shipping support group.

The reason for the inquiry was original ship date was the 23rd, Delivery Commitment from Asia to the US is 4-5 days, which puts the delivery date the 27th or 28th at the latest.

9. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

I do not believe UPS would tell anyone that Apple requested a shipment be held.

10. larry1302 thread starter macrumors newbie

See direct cut and past from chat session above.

11. bbowen macrumors member

That makes me wonder how many reps give out answers that are either incorrect or something they shouldn't reveal?

Back in the old days if a rep gave incorrect info the only way you'd have any proof was if you recorded the call.

Now, you do a chat and email the transcript to yourself. I bet the rate of rep firings has gone up.

12. PrestonWard macrumors member

That is strange I had two ship that day both are in ky. One is a black 16 gb the other is a white 16 gb.

13. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Yes, but also check out the comment about a rep that gave out bad information. Some people talk without having a clue what they are talking about, which is very dangerous if you are a customer service rep.

14. Imfamus macrumors newbie

Louisville, KY, United States 09/26/2012 2:02 A.M. Arrival Scan

My iphone has just been sitting in Kentucky :(

At least I think it has!

UPS hasn't updated tracking at all

15. Njapple macrumors newbie

There's something unprofessional going on with UPS (no surprise) and/or Apple. I preordered my iPhone 5, got a delivery date that went from Sept. 29th, to a wonderful surprise Sept. 27th. But then starting getting (excuses) notices from UPS that my street address needed verification, then a call from UPS that my provided zip code had been wrong, and now it's again a wrong address that they tried to deliver to on the 29th. Now UPS says they will deliver to the correct address Oct. 1st since they're warehouse is closed over the weekend and they're not delivering my phone on Sat bc it's not "special". Now, tell me, how can UPS get my address wrong when the label prints up directly from my apple account, AND during all this commotion apple sent UPS confirmation of my shipping address?? Oh and did I mention I have other deliveries from different sites all squaring up to be delivered on Oct 1 & 2nd? Coincidence? I bet my phone comes on the 2nd along with all the other packages I've ordered. BOYCOTTING UPS here on out!

16. Blackberryroid macrumors 6502a

Blackberryroid

Same thing happened to me with DHL! WHY ON EARTH WOULD APPLE DO THIS?

17. tigress666 macrumors 68040

BTW, if UPS holds it until the date they promise, that's a UPS thing, not Apple.

UPS will not deliver a day before they promise the item. I've watched enough UPS packages after my roommate pointed this out to me to see the theory tested true. It can be in your town a day or two early, they'll just wait until the day they promise to actually put it on the truck.

USPS and FedEx on the other hand will deliver as soon as it gets there. Sometimes USPS is faster than both of them when it comes to the more economy shipping levels (it tends to depend more on where the package is coming from, local packages for example always get to their destination next day with USPS, and also just pure luck on how USPS's schedules work out).

18. mrskullfreak macrumors 6502a

mrskullfreak

19. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

You want me to create a log of a chat session with UPS saying they recommend I use Fedex in the future? Hardly proof that the actual session log is real.