UPS for 2x Mac Pro - UK

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by thecounthahaha, Jun 20, 2013.

1. thecounthahaha macrumors regular

Hi,

After several power-cuts recently I'm thinking a UPS (or two) for my 2 Mac Pros (1,1 and 5,1) and some music gear would be a good idea. I'm in the UK.

I've found a lot of threads from the last several years but most are about US power supply and I'm getting confused by the differences!

Will 2 of these be ok? The picture doesn't have it all, but they have 6 sockets in the back. Could I then plug in a load of the gear I have too (Pro Tools 192, Audio Interface, etc)?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=358549767&pf_rd_i=468294

Some of the theads mention a pure sinewave UPS, such as this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=358549767&pf_rd_i=468294

Is this necessary?

I'd rather not pay more than I have to, but at the same time I don't want to skimp on this.

Thank you very much for any help you can give.

2. jamesr19 macrumors 6502

It's important to remember that a lot of UPS are designed just to give you power for a 5-15 minutes so that you can power down the computer/devices safely. This means you can probably get away with a smaller/cheaper one.

Those two are possibly insufficient as the Mac Pro (2009 2010) uses a 980W power supply.

Sorry I can't help anymore, just thought I'd point it out.

3. thecounthahaha thread starter macrumors regular

Hi jamesr19,

Thanks for the reply!

It's only really to allow enough time to save and quit and shutdown safely. Although if I can comfortably do that in 15 minutes rather than rushing to get it done within seconds then that would of course be more ideal.

In regards to the 980W power supply, how big should I be looking at?

4. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

I have an APC 1500VA UPS for my Windows desktop. The UPS had a readout that can show me how much time I have before I lose battery (shows even when it's not running on battery). My desktop has an 850W power supply that isn't nearly at 100% utilization, even under load (I previously had a 750W supply in the same system). The UPS tells me that I have roughly 15-25 minutes of runtime with the monitor on, should I lose power while gaming. The same readout also tells me power draw, it says I draw ~300W, I'm not sure how accurate that is.

The output of the power supply should not be any indication of how much power the system ACTUALLY draws. This is because Apple has built in a buffer to account for possibly using a more powerful video card or for adding extra HDDs that were not in the original configuration. Also keep in mind that a power supply loses efficiency when it heats up, Apple has also built in that buffer, that's why you always want to buy a larger power supply than you calculate needing when you build a custom computer.