Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phildog33

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2006
Hi guys, I have a Mac Pro with 2 23" Cinema Displays and an Areca card with 5HDs inside + 8 outside in an Enhance Box.

I also have other peripherals like HP Photo Printers, USB Hubs, External Burners, etc... But the most important to get through a loss of power is the Mac Pro, Areca Raid Array, 2 monitors and the keyboard/mouse.. Just so it powers down safely and not abruptly during a transfer.

Which UPS/Battery Backup do you guys recommend? What ratings.
I only need it to be on max 15-20mins, so it powers down safely

I was looking at these ones locally
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...500va&lp=2&type=product&cp=1&id=1122654248983

P

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
Hey P,

It would work, and should give you just enough time to shut everything down, depending on the actual load you place on it. If everything is running at full tilt, it wouldn't. I doubt it is though. Here's where a Kill A Watt is really handy.

To do any better, you get into a substantial amount of $$$. This is what you would be looking at. Not cheap at $879 MSRP, and its the largest 120VAC input model they make. It also requires a 20A circuit to itself, so an electrician may be required.

Which is why I never pointed you towards it. ;)

scottydawg

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2008
Sacramento, CA
I doubt the Best Buy unit would run 15-20 minutes with your load but I would guess at least 7-10 minutes which a comfortable time to wrap up work.
I have had really good luck with APC products (average 4-5 years) and have had less success with a few others (average 1-3 years) as far as how many years they actually last before a malfunction.

phildog33

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2006
And the only APC unit would be the big 2200VA unit?

There is nothing from them in a smaller form factor but still 1500VA or +

??

And nothing else to consider?

gotzero

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2007
Mid-Atlantic, US
I use a smaller APC UPS for my Mac Pro. I have it set up to take the computer down happily as soon as possible after power goes out, and boot back up on its own after power is restored. The smaller ones are fine for this, but to get a system where you can run the computer and a couple of big monitors (I have the same two 23"s and then other monitors) for a significant period of time requires a huge UPS.

phildog33

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2006
thansk for the reply -- and you jsut let the monitors go blank, so no backup for them?.. and just set it up so it shuts down and reboots when available?

I need to safely sustain the mac pro with 5 drives inside, + an Enhance Box that has 8 more on there -- those two together just need to be shut down properly..

the Cinema Displays and peripherals are more just for convenience

P

gotzero

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2007
Mid-Atlantic, US
I just have it take down the system within two minutes of power loss. My computer is on all the time, so i am not likely to physically be there during a power loss. I just want the work running on the unit to be saved and stored, and the computer to shut down in a normal manner.

The power supplies for the displays can handle the cutoff. A lot of people have their monitors attached to switched outlets anyway, and that is normally how they turn them on and off. Mine are on switched outlets so they use no power when I am not there.

jasone6

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2008
Hi guys, I have a Mac Pro with 2 23" Cinema Displays and an Areca card with 5HDs inside + 8 outside in an Enhance Box.

I also have other peripherals like HP Photo Printers, USB Hubs, External Burners, etc... But the most important to get through a loss of power is the Mac Pro, Areca Raid Array, 2 monitors and the keyboard/mouse.. Just so it powers down safely and not abruptly during a transfer.

Which UPS/Battery Backup do you guys recommend? What ratings.
I only need it to be on max 15-20mins, so it powers down safely

I was looking at these ones locally
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...500va&lp=2&type=product&cp=1&id=1122654248983

P

I have a somewhat similar setup (Mac Pro + two 23" Apple Displays + 3 external hard drives), and I have the exact UPS you linked to. I've been happy with mine. I think that the "clean" current is a feature that's more regularly appreciated than the "time to shut down" feature. That said, when we had big tornado storm here in Chicago this past summer (and all the power went out), my system stayed on, and fully functioning for quite a while (sorry, I can't be more specific than that).

Hope this helps.

-J

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
I have a fairly similar system (perhaps a little more power hungry), and I bought a pretty beefy UPS but it wasn't enough (it overloaded, couldn't power it for more than 10 seconds). Especially if you're set on powering everything, I think you have to expect to spend $1000+ on a UPS. The one I bought that wasn't enough for my whole system was $600 or so.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
And the only APC unit would be the big 2200VA unit?

There is nothing from them in a smaller form factor but still 1500VA or +

??

And nothing else to consider?
Assuming your Mac Pro and everything else on it runs at full load. I seriously doubt this, and mentioned the Kill A Watt to find out your actual power draw. ;)

Takes out the guess work, and they're inexpensive if you can't borrow one.

The 2200VA was more as a demonstration of how the prices increase just for an additional 700VA. After that, it can really get insane. :eek: So if you can go with a lower unit, do so, and save the $$$. :D

Using estimates can work though, and the 1500VA unit would give you enough time to shut down. You wouldn't need more than 7 min for this with safety (battery wear over time). That's why I pointed you in that direction in previous contact. :)

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
This APC UPS should be adequate for most setups and allow at least several minutes to save data, quit applications, and power down appropriately.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842101067

At $180 the price is right too....

S-

Agreed- the model linked to (APC BR1500LCD) works fine with a MacPro w/16Gb, 4 internal drives, a 30" ACD and several external drives for periods up to about 10-12 minutes. When running normally, the LCD readout on the UPS shows that it is utilizing about 45% of capacity FWIW.

There is another APC model with the same capacity rating (BX1500LCD) which is sold in Staples, the former Circuit City, etc. and is a little cheaper, but you should know that there is a reason they are cheaper- from a review of the BR1500 on Amazon, it point up what the differences are which convinced me to get the BR:
There are two models - BR1500LCD (Back UPS RS 1500) and BX1500LCD (Back UPS XS 1500). The differences:

1. RS model has additional phone/fax/model/10/100base-T ethernet protection. The XS only has phone/fax/modem protection.
2. Auto Voltage Regulation is capable of BOOST (due from low voltage) and TRIM (from over voltage). Again, the XS model only has BOOST, and no TRIM feature.

The price difference between the two is USD 50.00. So depending on whether you need the extra feature as well as the area on where you live to depend on the TRIM function, the better equipped model may be for you. Aside from the above they are the same in the rest of the features, battery and physical dimension.

jive turkey

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2008
Sorry to piggyback. . . Do the latest APC UPS products work on intel Macs? I have come across a lot of comments saying that it didn't work properly, but most of them have been many months old.

I was thinking about getting something like this for my Pro desktop, assuming the Intel stuff has been squared away. I have never used a UPS before and as such I'm not quite sure what I'm looking at.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
Sorry to piggyback. . . Do the latest APC UPS products work on intel Macs? I have come across a lot of comments saying that it didn't work properly, but most of them have been many months old.

I was thinking about getting something like this for my Pro desktop, assuming the Intel stuff has been squared away. I have never used a UPS before and as such I'm not quite sure what I'm looking at.
The only issue I'm aware of, is with the interface to the UPS. Some still use RS232, and you need a PCIe card or USB to RS232 adapter to communicate with it in a MP. I know the card works, but haven't ever tried the adapter.

Do you have any links to the issues you mention?

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire

I've bought 5 various APC models for myself and others in the last 2 years, three of which are working with Intel Macs with no issues. All of them have been a little larger (to a lot larger;)) than the one you linked, but I would suspect it would work the same. One reviewer notes that this one does have a USB cable for the interface to the UPS so all is good there and seems to indicate that UPS backups are already provided for in the 10.5, perhaps making the included PowerChute software unnecessary.

I have never hooked one up without installing the provided software first so can't tell you if it is recognized in the "Energy Saver" preferences pane without it, but I can say that with the latest version of the software Intel Macs don't pose any problems.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
I forgot to mention, the size seems too small. :eek:

330W is low, and would be bare minimum for a base MP IMO, assuming you haven't added any hardware. Then take the monitor into consideration. ;)

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
I forgot to mention, the size seems too small. :eek:

330W is low, and would be bare minimum for a base MP IMO, assuming you haven't added any hardware. Then take the monitor into consideration. ;)

Geez- no kidding- especially since it says that the OP wants to use it with 2 monitors. Totally missed the title this time around when looking at the one linked! :eek:

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
Geez- no kidding- especially since it says that the OP wants to use it with 2 monitors. Totally missed the title this time around when looking at the one linked! :eek:

jive turkey isn't the OP, so I have no idea what all is being run. :confused:
(I even checked before posting to avoid :eek:). :D

So I limited my comment to the bare minimum. Base MP. ;)

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
jive turkey isn't the OP, so I have no idea what all is being run. :confused:
(I even checked before posting to avoid :eek:). :D

So I limited my comment to the bare minimum. Base MP. ;)

Oh man, this is just not my thread! Thanks for the heads up- I indeed missed the thread hijack above! :eek: I'll shut up now!;)

Fomaphone

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2009
i asked the engineer about this today, for my own setup which will be nearly identical to the OP's, actually.

he suggested APC as the only serious option, and noted that there are APC units powering the core (decks, server, and AV patching/control equipment room), which also has a couple mac pro workstations and an HD ingest workstation.. plus there are APC's in the edit suites and producers' offices.

varying models are in the different rooms depending on the power draws.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
i asked the engineer about this today, for my own setup which will be nearly identical to the OP's, actually.

he suggested APC as the only serious option, and noted that there are APC units powering the core (decks, server, and AV patching/control equipment room), which also has a couple mac pro workstations and an HD ingest workstation.. plus there are APC's in the edit suites and producers' offices.

varying models are in the different rooms depending on the power draws.
I tend to stick with APC, particularly for stand-alone & rack mount units. I've found them to be reliable. Only had a couple die (not DOA batteries) over the years, and they were over 10 yrs old IIRC.

bearcatrp

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2008
Boon Docks USA

I use this one.. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842101067 ... as posted above, and works like a charm on my mac pro. Leopard recognizes it without additional software and lets you configure it in the energy saver settings. The only problem I have is it doesn't display current battery charge. All it shows is unknown. There is software from the maker but its ppc but will still work.

Here is the software for APC... http://www.apcc.com/tools/download/index.cfm , filter by hardware, insert backup ups-rs, then select BR 1500 lcd, and it will show a list supporting OS's. It shows intel and ppc.

phildog33

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2006
thanks guys,, i switched to the BR1500LCD.. this is a good one, thanks for your advice
p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.