Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 13, 2003
I am thinking of buying a UPS for my mac pro. It has 2 HDs and a 20" will also be on it. I want one that has software for mac. I don't need much run time just long enough for it too shut down and thats it. What would you guys recommend. I don't want something terrible expensive. The power voltage here is very good so i don't know if i need one that regulates voltage as my voltage here is just fine.

lamina

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
Monster makes some really good ones, but they're hella expensive. Belkin makes some that are the same spec as the stupid Monster ones, at half the price. Both of them will likely have Mac software.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Get one with AVR.

Doesn't matter that the voltage seems to be good, if you are protecting against power problems and blackouts -- it'll be a dice roll to see if you get nailed by power spikes/undervolts preceeding a blackout that cause your machine to shut down very ungracefully or the UPS actually catches quickly enough to give you 3-5 minutes while it is shutting the machine down.

Usually I will see the lights flicker or change brightness before a blackout, hardly ever a no notice blackout.

JNB

macrumors 604
UPS's are rated in voltamps (VA) or kilovoltamps (KVA), an indication of power for a certain amount of time versus draw.

For most desktop systems, 450-900 VA is more than sufficient to save your work, shut down, and have no worries. You should expect 30-45 minutes minimum powering a tower PC and monitor.

Any APC unit is outstanding, I highly recommend them (http://www.apc.com/products/category.cfm?id=13&subid=5). I specifically recommend against Monster, as they trade their name for price, and none - and I mean NONE - of their products is that superior or worth nearly the prices they charge. (I expect a cease-and-desist notice from Monster's attorneys anytime now, they are litigious bastards...)

Oh, remember to replace the batteries every 18-24 months, and don't run a laser printer through your UPS!

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 13, 2003
Yeah I have bought 2 APC server rack mount units for work but never for home. So APC has mac software?

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 13, 2003
So I am thinking either the APC Back-UPS ES USB 650 or the APC BACK-UPS RS 1300VA LCD your thoughts?

OldSkoolNJ

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
Get one with AVR.

Doesn't matter that the voltage seems to be good, if you are protecting against power problems and blackouts -- it'll be a dice roll to see if you get nailed by power spikes/undervolts preceeding a blackout that cause your machine to shut down very ungracefully or the UPS actually catches quickly enough to give you 3-5 minutes while it is shutting the machine down.

Usually I will see the lights flicker or change brightness before a blackout, hardly ever a no notice blackout.

If your lights are already blinking or dimming the damage is already happening though. So no matter the computer or your area it is always worth the money to have one.

Kevin

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.