UPS for mac pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jetjaguar, Mar 3, 2010.

1. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

im currently looking for a ups for my 8 core mac pro and 30 inch lcd .. with room for a possible second 30 inch. ive contacted apple and they cant seem to tell me the watts for the psu .. any of you tech guys know how many watts i would draw with my mac and 2 x 30 acds ??

i was lookign at the apc br1500 lcd .. which can do a max of 865w .. from what apc could find out about mac pros it looks like the high end 8 core 09 pulls a max of 1440w :eek:

2. Loa macrumors 65816

Loa

Hello,

Can't help you with the wattage, but keep in mind that getting 2 PSUs might be cheaper than getting a single hugely powerful one.

Get the displays one one, and the machine on the other.

Loa

3. GMink macrumors regular

GMink

This may help
    From Apple web site: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2836

4. vanillagorilla macrumors newbie

I have (2) APC NS 1250 for my entire system.

I have one unit for my MP alone, and the other unit for 6 monitors, router, modem, and printer duties.

On the one unit that is only powering/protecting my Mac Pro 2x2.26, the display shows it using half of the unit's max load, and says it will provide 20 minutes of backup power during moderate use.

I am really happy with these, and they are available at Sam's Club for $145ea.

5. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

i thought you dont plug printers into a ups ??
    well two seems like overkill currently .. cuz i would just have the mac pro in one and one monitor in the other and maybe a fios modem

6. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

7. Phantom Gremlin macrumors regular

I currently have two of those Back-UPS XS 1500VA UPS units. I'm currently using one with an iMac. They work, but ...

1) the LCD display on one unit has lost its backlight. You can still make out the information if you look very very carefully. Usually the iMac (with some external drives in standby etc) will take only about 75 Watts when on, 40 Watts when LCD is off, 5 Watts when in sleep (that includes external drives etc). I like looking at that information.

2) I'm used to previous smaller wattage APC units that were absolutely silent. These have a built-in fan that comes on under certain circumstances, IIRC when first powering up and then when providing power during a blackout. Not a big deal but at least slightly annoying. Anytime there's a fan, that's one of the first things to fail, plus it's a way for the thing to suck dust into it.

3) Dell recommends sine wave output UPSes for use with their workstations. These aren't. I don't recall Apple making that recommendation, but a quick google turned up this thread complaining about noise from a Mac Pro when not using a sine wave output unit.

8. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

I have one APS Back-UPS RS 1500VA LCD for my '09 Quad Mac Pro. I'm using a Dell 22" LCD at the moment, also plugged into the UPS.

When CPUs are maxed during a render, it only reaches 2/5 load bars, and registers 300W +/- 8W or so, and 15 minutes of backup. Right now, just using web, it reads 1/5 load bars, 170W, 28 minutes backup time.

I'm using Fan Control v0.7 by Concorde Rules, which may help keep watts down a little, maybe.

9. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

i think i am going pick up one of the apc 1500va lcd models .. and when i plug the stuff in ill see how much power draw im using .. then load the system using seti or folding and see how much it pulls and if its more than 3/4 ill pick up a second one

10. nanofrog macrumors G4

That unit will be fine.

Yes, the output is stepped, but it does have a multi-tap transformer to help with low wall voltage situations (brown-out) before going low enough to trigger the battery. It offers a decent bang for your buck IMO.

11. itsallinurhead macrumors 6502

itsallinurhead

I have a triplight. My macpro, dual 23" acds and external harddrive run off it. works great.

12. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

Just added an ACD 30", and now my normal wattage is ~260-275W, 2/5 load bars.

13. vja4Him macrumors member

vja4Him

I'm looking at the APC BACK-UPS RS 1300VA LCD 120V to use with my MacPro 3.33GHz (still on order).

Someone has suggested that I get a UPS system that will handle between 1000-1500 Watts.

I will connect the MacPro, one or two external HDs, iBook G4 to the UPS.

Any suggestions?

14. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

I've been using a APC BR1500 for about 6 years. I had some bad storms this year that fried 2 UPSs, this being one of them. I just ordered a replacement today. This one still worked but started crapping out every few days so I know it got messed up in the storm. Another one I had from Cyberpower started smoking and stunk up the house. I had to call the fire dept, I'm lucky it didn't burn the house down. So the APC worked as it should and kept everything safe eventhough it failed afterwards. Considering the alternative I'm very happy with how it performed.

15. vja4Him macrumors member

vja4Him

What part of the world do you live in? Man, that must have been one heck of a storm!

16. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

NY. Had a lot of power outages. Came home and lights were just flickering on and off. Was told that will do the most damage to electronics. It just made the UPS constantly turn on and off.

17. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

Upstate NY, by chance? I went to school there and the power grid was pretty crummy. Had a knack for going out in vigorous storms.

18. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Hudson Valley. It's usually pretty good, just this year was pretty rough. Weather has been increasingly more irregular all over the world in recent years.

19. vja4Him macrumors member

vja4Him

I used to live in Portland, Oregon. Had power outages every year. Sometimes without electricity for six days! I remember watching the old transformers going off like fireworks!

We are in California now. This winter has been really bad for power outages. One day the power went out three or four times. I think that is what did the most damage to my computer and hard drives.

20. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Where I live (mountains, Skagit Valley, WA) has a very finnicky grid - I know I need a UPS. 5 years ago our line had dirty/leaky power, electrifying pools of water. It was nuts; they solved the problem pretty quickly.

The farther east in this county you go, the more crusty the grid is. Its pretty nice in the populated areas (gee, wonder why), but there was the time when a car hit a single power pole and it put the entire eastern part of the county in a blackout.

21. Flash SWT macrumors 6502

Flash SWT

I have the APC Back-UPS RS 1500 LCD with the first Mac Pro setup listed in my signature and it works just fine, load barely ever goes over 3/5.

22. MitchLewis macrumors member

23. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I'm puzzled: how can you think a fan control program could help you to keep wattage low ?

24. Major Reeves macrumors regular

25. vja4Him macrumors member

vja4Him

Apc Back-ups Rs 1300va Lcd 120v

I am considering buying this Smart UPS for the MacPro 3.33GHz:

APC BACK-UPS RS 1300VA LCD 120V

I have to buy three Smart UPS systems:

one for my youngest son's HP Pavilion Slimline, one for my oldest son's HP Pavilion Elite, and one for my (still on order) MacPro 3.33GHz.

So, I'm looking at spending no more than $400 total for my Smart UPS, and around $700 total for the three Smart UPS systems.