UPS for MacPro 2.66 with x1900

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by CTYankee, Jul 20, 2007.

1. CTYankee macrumors 6502

OK, the Apple support forums have long convoluted threads on this issue. So...what is the deal with a UPS and a MacPro. The issues I read about are:

-overloading on wake from sleep.
    Will this damage my computer? If its just a power outage at the UPS and makes me restart my system I can live with that (once...then bring it back to the store to return the UPS)

-sine wave vs non-true sine wave.
    Again...seems the non sine wave (simulated) work OK...but can damage the system?

Right now its between the APC and Belkin 1500VA models. Any others I should consider?

2. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

I'm using a cyberpower 1500AVR (cheap, from best buy)

I had my mac pro plugged in without it for a while and it'd dim the lights every time it came back from sleep.

There is no "power surge" when you wake from sleep, there's a power deficit.

Keeping the current constant can help stability and reduce crashes.

The PSU (especially in the MP) has a ton of capacitors in it to help keep everything as constant as possible, but sometimes it's not enough.

The 'true sine wave' thing sounds like a gimmick, it all ends up being DC anyway.

Edit: By the way, Belkin makes great quality stuff, but it is ALWAYS overpriced. My cheap UPS works fine.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The stepped sine wave approximation should be good enough, the "true-sine" UPS is generally pricey compared to the cheaper "stepped sine"

However, either should work since it is their AVR capacity that protects the machine much better than a plain battery backup.

While the machine generally have decent power use while on -- as slughead pointed out it is the wake from sleep and power-on that suck the watts for a fraction of a second.

If the machine beeps the UPS while starting (unbalanced load), don't wake from sleep and power down during a power outage -- let it sleep or turn it off.

4. Trekkie macrumors 6502a

Trekkie

I've got a, hrm, 10 year old APC 1400RM battery back up I've been using on my computer(s) for uh...ten years. It's been used on an iMac G4, iMac G5, and now Mac Pro...

Never had an issue, though I think it was $1000 new. The benefits of working for a computer company I guess cuz I didn't pay for it.

I've played WoW for 40 min after power went out, finally shut down because didn't want to get p0wned if it shut off while mid something.

5. NickD macrumors 6502a

NickD

Another vote for APC. Most of the APC battery back up hardware is extremely durable, and very effective.

6. shayesky macrumors member

just picked up a new ups myself

was trying to run a DP2.0G5, two 20' LCDs, and a Sony Bravia 40 LCD
    off an APC office 500. didnt work out too well. so, I went to circuit
    city and got an APC 1300XS. great unit. $137. Now the TV
    and cable box and HD deck have their own ups.