UPS for time capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MarcoCapa, Feb 1, 2015.

1. MarcoCapa macrumors regular

Hello everyone!
    I have a time capsule and I was searching for an UPS for it, but I cannot find if I need a sine wave UPS or not for this... I know that Macs use the PFC technology for the power supply, but I cannot find any info for the time capsule....
    Do you think that an APC with " stepped approximation to a sine wave" should be fine or could damage my equipment?
    Thank you

2. aicul macrumors 6502a

To make UPS worth while on the TC your would need to have at least another Mac on the same UPS.

3. MarcoCapa thread starter macrumors regular

I have already bought another ups for my pc ( I own a windows machine besides the macbook) for media consumption ( movie etc)
    But I would like to know if it is possible to prevent damage to the time capsule only with a small ups ( around 70€)

4. ColdCase macrumors 68030

For years I've been using a CyberPower Intelligent LCD Series CP1500AVRLCD 1500VA simulated sinewave for my TC and other network components without issue. I have a Fibre internet connection and its nice to stream video and stay connected though power outages. In the long runs its cheaper than using up cell data.

I more recently went to a CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS 1500VA pure sinewave for my newer server because they had come down in price and there was a sale.

More money than you want to spend, but a data point.

5. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

Another datapoint, I have been running APC Back-UPS 550 that uses stepped sinewave approximation on my network hardware (cable modem, Time Capsule, network switch) and it provides about 40 minutes of backup power for my network hardware. I've had it in place for about 6 months and I haven't had any issues with hardware failures.

6. MarcoCapa thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you very much to everyone!
    I'm thinking that a simulated sine wave should be fine.. Or maybe a discounted sine wave... I will let you know my choice
    Have a nice day!

7. priitv8 macrumors 68020

The only problem with TC is that you can't make it gracefully shut down upon UPS running out of juice.
    If it is a problem, in the first place.

8. MarcoCapa thread starter macrumors regular

Yes i know... Apple should make a software correction... For me is more important a protection and a few hours of battery life.... Blackouts are not very frequent in the place where I live

9. chabig macrumors 68040

Perhaps a cosine wave would be better suited to your application.

10. dyt1983, Feb 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying info not relevant to the conversation.

11. MarcoCapa thread starter macrumors regular

Oh i have bought a cyberpower cp900epflcd for my pc and I'm awaiting this! Do you think it isn't a good option and could be dangerous to the electronics? Do you have had damage to your machine by the cyberpower?
    Thank you

12. dyt1983, Feb 2, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

13. brentsg macrumors 68040

APC makes a nice lithium ion model that's small and appropriate for network gear, but it's expensive. It also lets you program outlets to power cycle under programmed conditions, such as not being able to ping a particular IP on the internet.

It's great for situations where network issues can be quickly resolved by a quick power cycle. It doesn't happen to me often, but on rare occasion my ISP has a problem and a power cycle of the cable modem straightens it up ASAP.

14. priitv8 macrumors 68020

True. But at least you can disconnect all users, which (I assume), would at least make it close all files and buffers and make the shutdown cleanish.
    But it's just a wild guess, of course.

15. MarcoCapa thread starter macrumors regular

Please elaborate better your point. I usually disconnect the time capsule by pulling the power cord only checking if the hard disk is spinning...

Yeah I know this model but 400/500€ is too much for a time capsule battery and surge protection :D
    Many times I have thought about lithium batteries for replacement onfthe sealed lead batteries for my upses, but from what I know they are not produced by now.... Imagine an APC smart ups 1500va with a lithium battery in the same size: power for two days :eek::eek:

Thank you very much for the tip
    I will check the battery regularly! with the software for windows I will be able to know the battery status or the cyberpower ups is a liar?

16. dyt1983, Feb 3, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

17. MarcoCapa thread starter macrumors regular

So guess what my friend: the ups is arrived today... It works but doesn't hold the charge.... If I disconnect from the power supply it powers off... It's a very sad thing because now I have to resend the item to Amazon and go for two APC probably or an APC for the pc and a Tecnoware for the time capsule
    I think that this is the same issue as your....

18. brentsg macrumors 68040

I had the same experience with a new APC. It's just something that happens in that industry with all of them from time to time.

19. MarcoCapa thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah it is only luck with some electronic companies

20. dyt1983, Feb 3, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

21. MarcoCapa thread starter macrumors regular

Yes...
    I'm considering the smart ups 750 va ( I will like to by a retina iMac in addition to the pc in the future) do you think this could satisfy my need or I need the 1000 va one?
    I'm a bit paranoid now :D:D:D

22. dyt1983, Feb 3, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

23. priitv8 macrumors 68020

There was an app for that :D
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3800641
    Sorry, I am still stuck with APU 5.6.1.

24. MarcoCapa thread starter macrumors regular

25. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Not older machines. It was the Mavericks at fault.
    But there's an app for that too :D
    AirPort Utility 5.6.1 on OS X 10.9 Mavericks