UPS lost package from OWC?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BrittQ, Mar 13, 2008.

1. BrittQ macrumors regular

After getting a new MBP I ordered 4 gigs of ram from OWC (Mac sales). Everything went great.

Next I ordered a quad interface 750g external hard drive plus an esata card from OWC.
    It was suppose to be delivered on Thursday the 6th. I checked the tracking when I was at work and it said it was delivered and signed for. The name of the person that signed for it was “Bartton” which is only 2 letters off from my name (I have an uncommon name).

After work I went to my apartment office and asked for. They said they do not have it and have no record of receiving it.
    I checked back the next day during my lunch break, same story.

I contact OWC customer service and tell them what is going on. The rep was very nice and polite (I think his name was Dave). He contacted UPS.

UPS called me to verify what was going on.

Come Monday I get a call from UPS saying the driver went back out on Friday and verified it was delivered to my apartment’s office. I call the apartment and ask if they have it. They say “no”. So I call UPS back and tell them the apartment does not have it, and ask what I should do next. They said they would send “legal papers” (copy of the signature?) to OWC and have them deal with the apartment.

I get a very smarmy email from OWC saying that a person from the apartment office said she will help resolve this issue.

At this point I am thinking that the driver was negligent and some stranger tried to forge my name and now has my package.

So, I contact my credit card company have them reverse the charge since I never received the items I purchased.

I haven’t heard anything from anyone since.

I want to reorder from OWC. But, is that a good idea? I do not think it was OWC fault to begin with. Will they have a bitter attitude towards me? Will my package disappear again?

2. Zweben macrumors member

Zweben

I don't think it's a good idea to re-order until you get the original situation straightened out.

Did you in any way indicate to UPS that it was okay to let the apartment office sign for your package? I am not sure if it is standard practice to let a third party sign for authorization without the intended recipients approval, but it doesn't seem like a very good idea.

That said, if they verified that the apartment office signed for it, I would say they're most likely telling the truth. I would go to the apartment office in person, tell them what happened and figure out what's going on. Find out who was in the office at the time the package was signed for and, without accusing anybody, try to speak to those people and see if anyone remembers a package. As far as I can tell, either UPS is wrong or the apartment office is lying. You can also see if your credit card company will do a chargeback, in which case they will refund your money and try to sort it out themselves.

3. BrittQ thread starter macrumors regular

I went to the office in person 3 times. Everyone I talked to said they never received the package.

I did not give any authorization to leave the package anywhere. I just ordered it and put the ship address to my specific unit.

I did contact my bank and they did a charge back.

It is either UPS or the apartment office... I'm not sure, but I am leaning towards UPS being at fault. No one in the office has a name similar to "Bartton".

4. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Just don't bother.

You're not the only person who has had problems with OWC:
    http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Other_World_Computing_10

Just order from Newegg, Amazon or any other reputable retailer.

For what its worth, I've had some of the shadiest UPS drivers. Stolen packages, forged signatures, lying about delivery attempts, etc...

If you got the money back from your credit card protection, move on and order elsewhere. OWC will not take your business after a chargeback.