UPS - Photo ID Conundrum

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ecross, Oct 14, 2011.

1. ecross macrumors newbie

I preordered my iPhone within the first 20 minutes through Verizon.

I was at work when they came to drop it off, so I called and had them hold it for me to pick-up later.

I went to the customer service center to pick-up my iPhone.

They wouldn't let me because my ID did not have my new address on it.

Here is the funny thing: They were able to release a separate package they had attempted to deliver to me today. So the guy hands me the shoes I ordered, but couldn't hand me my iPhone, which was two feet behind him.

I wish I would have known I needed a new ID to pick it up. Before I arrived, the lady on the phone said I needed an ID with EITHER the name or the address - both were not necessary.

Meanwhile, all my friends just walked into Verizon today and received their phones - teaches me to never preorder again! Or to just update my ID ASAP... :rolleyes:

Of course I wasn't happy, but I felt sorry for the guy that had to tell a good number of people there that he couldn't hand them their iPhones, because they had recently moved and hadn't received their new ID's yet.

Anyone else have the same experience?

2. ecross thread starter macrumors newbie

A three-way conference call initiated by Verizon could not even break through to my precious iPhone. On top of several calls to UPS Customer Service (trying to get different supervisors that might have been willing to exhaust all options).

It is my facility in Phoenix requiring the updated ID, not UPS as an organization.

It took the Verizon rep and myself 20 minutes just to convince them to ship it again, since I had already requested pick-up (before knowing their stricter ID requirement).

After all the hassle, I am going to feel a lot of attachment to this device once it finally gets it here!

3. ecross thread starter macrumors newbie

Hopefully they do something about it:

Verizon Customer Support,

I wanted to have a chance to give a message to the supervisor of the representative I talked with today.

I was not able to pick-up a preordered iPhone from my local UPS facility because I did not have an updated ID (they were requiring a license that had the same shipping address, and I recently moved). The representative was very kind, understanding, and willing to fight for me. He even took the time to start a three-way conference call with UPS Customer Service to see if Verizon could do anything to allow them to release my phone to me. Although we were not able to get them to agree to another form of identification, I feel Verizon exhausted all reasonable options, and I am proud to have chosen to stay with Verizon, rather than choosing AT&T or Sprint for service to my iPhone.

The only thing I would say is please follow-up with UPS about this identification requirement they have at some facilities. Less understanding/perceptive customers may associate the difficulty on UPS's side with Verizon and choose another provider after being denied their shiny new iPhone. I feel UPS did what they could, but the facility in question (and possibly others around the country) should accept alternative forms of identification for those without updated ID's. I offered and they would not accept utility bills, a passport, social security card, birth certificate, renter's agreement, etc. This seems a bit ridiculous, and as a partner that you chose to be part of your iPhone distribution process, I believe it would be beneficial for everyone involved to at least discuss the issue with them.

The representative's name was Sameer. I did not get his last name (and am not sure that is exactly how you spell his first name), but I would love to know that he and his supervisor received this message. Also, if I could be updated on whether or not you contact UPS about my concerns, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for the support!

Edward Cross