UPS: Power goes down: Does OS X gracefully shut-down all programs/files and system?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by doxavita, May 9, 2011.

1. doxavita macrumors 6502a

If I plug my UPS (battery-backup) via the USB port to my iMac, and the power goes down.
    Does OS X gracefully shut down the system? (once a certain criteria is met: minutes in battery backup mode, battery capacity remaining, etc...)In other words are all programs/documents properly closed before the system shuts itself down? or is the shut-down sudden and OS X does not take the precaution of properly closing all files/programs in use?

2. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

Anybody? It would be nice if OS X automatically saved all documents and closed all apps. I would be leaving my Mac on all day and night, and if the power went down at night (while asleep), this would be a nice feature to have. What can be done?

3. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

If I recall right (and I may not), it executes a fast shutdown which won't save your docs.

Now, most UPSs emit alarm warnings which can be quite loud. You most likely would have enough time to wake up and get to your Mac and save everything before it shuts down.

Other than that, yes the preconditions for the shutdown are fully settable in MacOS. AFAIK, they're generic and don't change from UPS to UPS. Now, it could be that someone has written an app which does a smarter shutdown, I haven't looked for that.

4. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

I don't think any of the UPS makers have Mac-specific software - they all rely on what's built into OS X for shutdown conditions.

The only other thing I've seen it this:
    http://www.powersaveups.com/
    and it's kinda expensive for what you get - at least for casual home use.